Gas & electric meter locations ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know about the convenience factor of having meters on the outside in those fugly white cupboards, but what is the legal situation ?

Gas first. Can they be internal, like in my parents house, or are there new regulations that mean they have to be outside ?

Electric. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with putting the electric meter and an isolating switch outside and barely protected from the weather ? On the house I'm buying, the chipboard backing where the meter etc is mounted shows that the box is far from weatherproof :eek:

I'm not planning on moving them (yet, there is so much more "rubbish builder" crap to sort out first), but I am curious.

Sponsored Links
Gas - unfortunately they put the darned things where they want, not where you want.
Well worth asking them though.
You could ask for a semi-concealed box, which could be brownish and buried with the top/lid at slightly over ground level.
Look over the enclosures for sale here and page after, which will give you an idea:
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/040.asp

Electrics - try the UK electrics forum.

You could ask for a semi-concealed box, which could be brownish and buried with the top/lid at slightly over ground level.

That is fine if you keep paying your bills. Miss them and your brown lid turns into a rabbit hutch :LOL: :LOL:

i know the gas meter boxes have to be outside now , this is due to the fact that they want to fit medium pressure to all homes in the uk. medium pressure meters have to be fitted outside due to the pressure if one was to leak. i think electric is put outside for another reason also another reason why the gas is now fitted outside. it makes it easy for your meters to be read by the meter guy :)

Sponsored Links
Electric is put outside for the fire brigade and for acessibility to the network operator. (and its probably cheaper)

i know the gas meter boxes have to be outside now , this is due to the fact that they want to fit medium pressure to all homes in the uk. medium pressure meters have to be fitted outside due to the pressure if one was to leak. i think electric is put outside for another reason also another reason why the gas is now fitted outside. it makes it easy for your meters to be read by the meter guy :)

where did you hear they want to put MP in all houses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back