Gas fire installation

Sponsored Links
If you do have a precast flue it probably won't work anyway, there useless. Balanced flue is the safest and most efficent IMO.

If the pipe in the loft joins to an adaptor block then it will be a precast.

Part of a fire service on a precast should include cleaning the twin wall metal pipe in the loft, I have seen them fail smoke tests due to cobb web's before, they can be very hit and miss.

You could always buy a surround with a rebate to fit the fire into?

You need to find an installer familiar with fire installs. A lintel is required if you knock the hole as said.

Sam

If you do have a precast flue it probably won't work anyway, there useless. Balanced flue is the safest and most efficent IMO.

If the pipe in the loft joins to an adaptor block then it will be a precast.

Part of a fire service on a precast should include cleaning the twin wall metal pipe in the loft, I have seen them fail smoke tests due to cobb web's before, they can be very hit and miss.

You could always buy a surround with a rebate to fit the fire into?

You need to find an installer familiar with fire installs. A lintel is required if you knock the hole as said.

Sam

There endeth the lesson..... :eek:

Well people come here to learn don't they?

More useful than the post you made thats for sure :LOL:

Sponsored Links

Sorry, thought it was you trying to impress on other `engineers` how much you don`t know... :rolleyes: Surprised Agile hasn`t herded you into the CC, ( Clowns chamber)

I don't care what others think of me on here, including you. I come onto this site to learn, and help others if I can in some of my spare time.

I've been a registered user on this site for years but regularly **** off for a few months when the usual silverbacks start chirping off about who's better than who.

Having said that, there are some extremely knowledgable people on here, which brings me back to the first point of learning.

I'm already a user of the clowns chamber too.

;)

Thanks guys.

Now back to the questionsd i would l;ike answers to please...

Now what i need to know is ....

Are Flavel fires really that bad?
What brands should i be looking for?
How do i know what kw size fire i need for my room it is 14ft x 14ft?

Hi,
I have no experience of Flavel fires so can't say if they are any good or not...I would imagine they would be on par with the rest of the fires out there.

You can get higher output balanced flue fires but I think the average output seems to be around the 2.8kw range, I think this will be more than enough for your room.

Is the fire the only heat source in the room or do you have a radiator?

Cheers.

Yes we do have a radiator in this room but were wanting to take it out as it is in an awkward place. We have found a fire with a 4kw output but it is flavel and don't really know anything about them.

Maybe i should look a little bit more if i will only need 2.8. It's just the wife wanting it now ( if you know what i mean) impatient. :D

Which flavel is it.
The recent flavels i have done basically have a flap that just sits on top of the heat exchanger to seal it, no fixing screws or anything to hold it tight in place. Passes the tests when new but van see them very possibly leaking products as they get older

.... Maybe i should look a little bit more if i will only need 2.8. It's just the wife wanting it now ( if you know what i mean) impatient. :D
Hi,
I'm no expert on the output of gas fires but I'm pretty sure that a 2.8 kw fire will do you, but there is no harm in putting a larger output fire in if you want.

Is it not possible to move the radiator to a different location rather than get rid of it completely as its always good to have a heating source in the room without having to have the fire on all of the time.

Cheers.

Which flavel is it.

It is the Calibre BF

Is it not possible to move the radiator to a different location rather than get rid of it completely

The wife wants it out altogether. I would just leave it there to be honest but maybe get a smaller slimline one.

Hi,
If the radiator can be changed or moved easily I would advise that you try to keep it so the room is getting heat when the CH is on.
If you want to use the fire in the room most of the time you could just turn the rad off.

The Calibre fire looks to be quite a deep fire @ 185mm, take a look at the link below for the dimensions & instillation instructions.

http://www.bfm-europe.com/products/...l-hearth-mounted-fires/flavel-calibre-bf.html

Cheers.

Sorry, thought it was you trying to impress on other `engineers` how much you don`t know... :rolleyes: Surprised Agile hasn`t herded you into the CC, ( Clowns chamber)
Billy , don`t be a hero :confused: Argh, the dementia kicked in again :oops: Not Legion, are you?. That`s the PCC , Privy Clowns Chamber. Us Privy fixing/drain unblocking ,Lower Order Clowns are excluded :cry: Ah well, back to my Paper Lace and basket making.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back