Gas fire installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to have a gas fire installed. The house doesn't have a chimney so i am looking for a balanced flue fire. I have been told that to have an inset fire installed it is possible but a hole would have to be knocked out for the fire to sit in. What i need to know is this normal and more importantly safe? Would it not weaken the wall where the fire will be situated?

Also i am finding it hard to find somewhere to buy this type of fire except online, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
an inset fire would go in the space previously occupied by an open fire, ie a fireplace. without a fireplace, it has nowhere to go. i wasn't aware that insets are a balanced flue. someone's giving you confusing information

Without a fire place or flue, you will need an Outset balanced flue fire. They have to be installed on a wall to the out side, and need an approx. 6inch dia hole through the wall for the flue. This hole will not damage the structure. You will also need to have a gas supply laid to the fire. I would advise you to consult an RGI. on the detail.
Like you, I can only find this type of fire online

Sponsored Links
YES YOU CAN have an inset balanced flue fire .
It is a matter of cutting the appropriate size hole in the outside wall . Dependent on what type of wall no it wont weaken it but if you wanted to be safe a lintel can be fitted above the hole . Depending on wall thickness or if surround is used a spacing kit maybe req but not very often
Best every day makes are the baxi and valor.. Personally dont like the flavel as the sealing method of heat ex doesnt look that good

There has been a gas fire in this spot before (Previous owners) as the gas pipe is already there, although there is no hole been knowed out for the fire to sit in.

There will be a fire surround being fitted also and harth and back.

Thanks for the info on baxi and valor brands, i were told that Paragon were the best (But that was from a salesman :eek: )

Now all i need is to find reputable retailors that sell at a decent price.

Been doing a bit of searching and found a little info on flues. Found something called... Pre-cast Flue could someone give me a bit more info on these and how i can check to see if i have one? Also it mentioned something about using tje cavity, would there be isues with this if it has been cavity wall insulated?

precast flues are of 2 types 1 complies the other doesnt (diameter of hole)
they basically consist of concrete blocks with a hole through the middle.
house built from around 1970 onwards often have them instead of the more traditional coal flue of earlier houses.

the inset balanced flue is different this is a flue through the wall, it is common for the inner wall brickwork needing to be removed (approx an 18" square ) a lintel is advisory to stop bricks falling out above the fire.
the outer wall usually needs a 5" circular hole

All the inset balanced flue fires (all fires i think) i have fitted come with the installation instructions that state that they are to be fitted in accordance with building regulations and therefore must have a lintel fitted across the builders opening.

There has been a gas fire in this spot before (Previous owners) as the gas pipe is already there, although there is no hole been knowed out for the fire to sit in.
If there was a gas fire fitted previously that would have had to have some sort of flue unless it was a flueless fire!

A balanced flue gas fire always has a glass front.
You can get a fan flue fire which is open (no glass) & this has a small fan in the flue to blow the gasses out of the flue. These are often mistakenly referred to as a balanced flue! I have no experience of these but I have heard comments that when they are on you can hear the fan running slightly which is something to bare in mind.

If you use a fire surround with a deep enough rebate you may not have to cut a hole in the inner leaf of the cavity wall for the fire. A common rebate size is 3" (75mm) but I believe you can get a surrounds with deeper rebates though.
You can also get spacer frames for fires so using one of these with the rebate of the surround would save having to cut a hole, however the fire would then be sticking out a bit, so it's all down to how you want it to look.

If a hole has to be made in the wall for the fire a lintel should be installed above the opening. Any cavity wall insulation would be removed in this space.

Cheers.

@@kevindgas

Thanks for the info on the pre-cast flues. I understand a little more now but still unsure if it is the best method to use in my situation as i have heard a lot of talk about them leaking.

@workerant

I think if i go this route i will insist on a lintel being fitted. Thanks

hammerswinger
If there was a gas fire fitted previously that would have had to have some sort of flue unless it was a flueless fire
It has some sort of flue (metall box thing) on the outside wall behind where the fire was.

What is the normal fire depth if i were to get spacers for the back panel into the fire surround?

If a hole has to be made in the wall for the fire a lintel should be installed above the opening. Any cavity wall insulation would be removed in this space.
I understand what you are saying but i were referring to the cavity wall insulation if i were to use the pre-cast flue.

It has some sort of flue (metall box thing) on the outside wall behind where the fire was.
That is a balanced flue gas fire by the sounds of it.

What is the normal fire depth if i were to get spacers for the back panel into the fire surround?
I believe the depth of most balanced flue fires is approx 145mm (5 ¾")...I'm busy fitting a balanced flue fire at the moment & that is the depth of it.

I understand what you are saying but i were referring to the cavity wall insulation if i were to use the pre-cast flue.
Have you got a pre cast flue?
Just wondering why there was a balanced flue fire fitted if there was a pre cast flue there?

Take a look here...

http://www.valor.co.uk/valor/website.nsf/conschimney?readform&nav1=consumer&nav2=chimney

Cheers.

Thanks hammerswinger

Have you got a pre cast flue?
Just wondering why there was a balanced flue fire fitted if there was a pre cast flue there?

I do have the vent ridge usaully associated with pre-cast flues and also there is this really big pipe in the loft which goes to it. That is what made me think it may have pre-cast.

Are Paragon gas fires any good as that is the only one we have been able to find so far?

I know it can be confusing. Our house also has a vent ridge but that was for the flue from the old boiler.

Regarding makes of balanced flue fires, there are loads of then available, just google "Balanced Flue Gas Fires"

Cheers.

Thanks for your comments, i have just decided to go with the balanced flue option.

Now what i need to know is ....

Are Flavel fires really that bad?
What brands should i be looking for?
How do i know what kw size fire i need for my room it is 14ft x 14ft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back