Gas fire query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

The above picture shows my fireplace which has a 28mm gas pipe running through the back of it (from meter to combi). We want to put a gas fire in that fireplace. The engineer who fitted the boiler (and the pipe) said this would be no problem. I suppose I would like further opinions on this?

The fires we are looking at are about 160mm deep and the the nearest part of the gas pipe is about 200mm in.

Sponsored Links
bs 715 steel box and flue liner problem solved
you need as gas enginer and with fire ticket to do it

that gas pipe should not be inside that opening without any protection on it, soot will/could fall onto the pipe and corrode it, but on saying that it can be used if altered properly to get a connection for the fire in

Thanks for your speedy replies.

Adl, box and flue liner is presumably one of those that goes the full length of the chimney? Sounds expensive :cry: What ballpark figure are we in incl. fitting? any idea?

Kirk, the engineer left a 15mm reduced T going into a tap (and subsequently capped) outside and to the right of the fireplace for the fire to be connected to.

I'm wondering whether it would work out better (and cheaper) to have the pipe altered/moved;

Currently the meter is to the right of the chimney, the pipe passes through the chimney and then goes straight up through the bedroom and into the loft to the combi. Maybe instead of going through the chimney it could go up the right hand side of the chimney, but it would then have to go under the bedroom floorboards (is that allowed?) to go up to the loft via a cupboard (as it does at the moment).

Not sure what is the best and most cost effective solution? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Currently the meter is to the right of the chimney, the pipe passes through the chimney and then goes straight up through the bedroom and into the loft to the combi. Maybe instead of going through the chimney it could go up the right hand side of the chimney, but it would then have to go under the bedroom floorboards (is that allowed?) to go up to the loft via a cupboard (as it does at the moment).

The pipe could have been buried in the floor in front of the fireplace, then following the route you described.

However, a little thought is in order. It would seem wrong to fit a gas fire in front, as it is a gas pipe. BUT, think about it, it would be normal to run a gas pipe in that postion, en route to a left hand connection on a gas fire! So, actually, unless someone can point to a specific reg., there is nothing wrong with it!

I don't see why he went to the effort of fitting a tap, as all fires have an integral isolation valve inside. And you never us a valve external to the breast anymore.

I Agreed with Kirk, it should be wrapped.

Oh, and don't light a solid fuel fire there :D [/b]

I hope nobody minds me hijacking this thread but this is the closest to a problem that has recently been bestowed upon me by a renewal of the gas mains in our street.

We were told that our meter had to be moved from the back of the house to the front. This resulted in the 28mm main feed running through the back of the fireplace similar to the picture. I questioned the logic and safety of this at the time, mainly due to the fact that we have a wood burning stove in said fireplace. The pipe fitter passed this off as no big deal and it wouldn't effect using the stove.

Haven't lit a fire in there since as we discovered not only did it need sweeping but the chimney needed lining. The Hetas registered guy that came said there was no way he would work on it with the pipe there.

Now I'm confused, bewildered and annoyed by the whole situation. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at having the pipe moved and a whole load of stress to get it done. The question I have is does this situation and the location of the pipe in relation to the stove sound remotely ok to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Cuckstuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back