Gas Fire Thermocouple loose connection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the correct forum but my son had a problem with his ‘Paragon Living Flame’ gas fire in as much as it was failing to flame up properly. The pilot light would ignite no problem but it wouldn’t stay on.

He noticed that the thermocouple connection (thin copper tube) to the main valve was quite loose and when he tightened the nut slightly the gas-fire started to work properly again. Obviously just re-made the electrical connection.

I’d imagine that the thermo-couple nut had probably only ever been finger-tight and whoever replaced it at some time in the past had simply forgotten to nip it up more securely.

Question: can gas escape from that particular connection if the thermo-couple nut isn’t tightened properly?. I assume that the connection is purely electrical and no gas could possibly escape,...but perhaps I assume wrongly.

Sponsored Links
+1 ... the thermocouple just runs a very small current to the e-mag at the top of the gas valve and holds the valve open. If the oxy pilot goes out (for whatever reason) the thermocouple cools down the current disappears and the gas valve closes, hence why it's the main safety device

I'd suggest your son gets the fire serviced by a GSR just to be sure the rest of it is ok, it should be performed yearly.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies, very much appreciated;... although the fire has been working properly I was worried that the loose connection had been leaking gas (however small) all the time the fire was lit. I'm relieved that hasn't been the case as it's purely an electrical connection, but nonetheless he'll get it looked at/serviced asap. That's a definite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back