Gas Fire Unidentifiable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably a bit of an odd query and googling hasn't helped so hopefully you guys can!

We moved in to this house 6 years ago and there was already in situ a inset gas fire with fake coals.

We had a service arrangement with British Gas and then Npower for boiler and fire.

Each year they would come and service the fire and boiler etc. Before Christmas after several poor shows on their part in relation to our boiler we got an independent engineer in he fixed the problem straight away and economically too so we cancelled the service contract.

Now our fire service is due we rang the independent guy and asked him to do it, he has stated that unless we have the manual he wont service it because of the arrangement of the coals. At first this sounded mad to me but a bit of googling shows he is on the ball. The problem is we have no manual and there is no visible makers mark or serial number etc with which to ID the fire and thus I can not obtain a manual.

I have added an image of the fire in case someone can visually id it.

However my query is this what would be a fair install charge if I just went to B&Q and bought a replacement?

The current fire was once removed and refitted by a guy the rspb brought out when a bird was stuck down the back and it took him 10 minutes to take it out and put it back and another 10 to do the safety checks so I'm guessing it's not a major job assuming the inset sizes are standard.

On a secondary note as we use the fire twice a year on average my wife points ot would we not be better off with an electric or a wood burner to save having to pay for a service each year - any insight in to the merits and costs of these options wouldalso be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could be Portway/Verine.The clue being the holes. also they had paper badges which peel off!!

Take another pic,this time of the controls after removing the fret.

Sponsored Links
[
However my query is this what would be a fair install charge if I just went to B&Q and bought a replacement?

The current fire was once removed and refitted by a guy the rspb brought out when a bird was stuck down the back and it took him 10 minutes to take it out and put it back and another 10 to do the safety checks so I'm guessing it's not a major job assuming the inset sizes are standard.

On a secondary note as we use the fire twice a year on average my wife points ot would we not be better off with an electric or a wood burner to save having to pay for a service each year - any insight in to the merits and costs of these options wouldalso be greatly appreciated.

I won't offer a ball park figure, as it will be meaningless. Why not ask the guy you phoned before? He is presumably local and that helps a great deal when answering such questions.

Can you post a pic of the full area behind the fret? It isn't Portway/Verine. Some one may recognise it more easily with a full view. What does all the writing say? I assume there is spillage testing instructions, but there may be a clue in there.

With regard to you not using the fire regularly, then I would agree with your wife. An E-fire is probably the best route, but bear in mind that they give 2Kw at most, and some a lot less. A woodburner is much more expensive to install and you can't put it on for 10 mins after the pub and before going to bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back