Gas Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm new to the forum having bought my first house a couple of months ago and am looking to get stuck into some DIY in the new year.

My first project is to redecorate a bedroom. There is what looks to be an old gas fitting poking out of the floor. It is next to a now blocked up fireplace so I presume it was something to do with a gas fire. Nothing happens when the flap/switch is turned so I presume it has been disconnected.

Would it be safe to cut this off below the carpet? It would look a lot neater.

Attachments

• IMG_5941.jpg
    IMG_5941.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_5940.jpg
    IMG_5940.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
Yeah, looks like an old isolation valve, but I haven’t seen them used for fires. I know you said it doesn’t do anything when operated, but better safe than sorry, I would get a gas safe registered engineer in, as you can’t leave an open end - dead or not.

Presumption is the mother of all disaster....

Sponsored Links
Drvsdes ago they were commonly used for fires and gas pokers, although pokers were more often connected with a bayonet.

You youngsters, tsk.
solder-torch.jpg
This is a modern day gas poker. Just lie that on the log bar and it soon gets the fire going.

Drvsdes ago they were commonly used for fires and gas pokers, although pokers were more often connected with a bayonet.

You youngsters, tsk.
Ours use to be connected by rubber hosing pushed over a nipple connector
Youngsters, tsk tsk tsk

Or was that the gas rings in the "kitchen" area??? mmmm long time ago

Ours use to be connected by rubber hosing pushed over a nipple connector
Youngsters, tsk tsk tsk

Or was that the gas rings in the "kitchen" area??? mmmm long time ago

You may be thinking of school Bunsen burners. Not seem one for 45 years, bit seems remarkable that they were what is now classed as an”open end”. Have they changed?

You may be thinking of school Bunsen burners. Not seem one for 45 years, bit seems remarkable that they were what is now classed as an”open end”. Have they changed?
No, never had a school bunsen burner at home mum would never had allowed it, not that she would have known what one was.

Thanks guys.

If there is no way to tell whether it is still active/connected to the gas supply then looks like the only alternative is to get someone to come and cap it off.

Obviously it depends how much access you have around your house. I can get under my ground floor and can see where every gas pipe runs - the new ones to the boiler and tumble drier, the older one to the hob and the really old lead ones running to where the old gas fires were - these were cut off at the supply end years ago so I was safety able to remove the whole lot.

If you can't, I would strongly recommend that you get it traced by the gas engineer and (even if it costs a bit more) cut off as close to the incoming supply as possible, not just under the bedroom floor - the fewer live gas pipes running round your house the better.

If there is no way to tell whether it is still active/connected to the gas supply then looks like the only alternative is to get someone to come and cap it off.

As mentioned, if you can trace the pipe back to show it has been disconnected then just remove everything. If not then get someone in, don't cap it yourself, you never know what's been done previously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back