Gas flames go out after a few seconds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a drop in water pressure resulting in the shower not working and toilet not flushing. The combi boiler will not heat water or central heating for more than a few seconds before flames go out. If I try the hot water, the flames go out and then I hear a dripping water sound inside boiler for a little while. Shower and toilet are working again but boiler still going out. It was serviced last month with a 100% bill of health. The only problem is the bar goes right to the limit when running central heating and then dropped below the lowest threshold. In latter weeks it still hit the highest limit (red) but settled above the lowest threshold instead of dropping too low which had to have more mains water let into the system to re-pressurise it.

Sponsored Links
your expansion vessel needs recharging or replacing, this should have been checked at the service, lots of how toos in the FAQ section

It was recharged at the service but the bar continued to spike up and down. Contacted the plumber who ordered the part 8 weeks ago. Told us there is a delay with the company who supply the part.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the expansion vessel has gone, there are two ways of fixing it:
1. Replace the vessel inside the boiler. The part is available, but expensive (around £170).
2. If you have space, fit another vessel connected to the central heating return pipe outside the boiler.

In either event, I'd suggest having the pressure relief valve changed. Sounds as if it has operated at some time, and, once they operate, they often don't re-seal properly.

Not sure what you mean by it being “operated” as this to a layman sounds like that is what a part should be doing. Again, the chap recharged it at the service, told me the bar should stabilize after a day or so of which it didn’t. Contacted him to say it was still spiking up and down (eventually only spiked high,not low) and he said he was ordering a new part.

Last edited:
he hasnt re charged it properly, it doesnt need to settle if the pressure was still rising after recharging it hasnt been done properly, you would be surprised at the amount of plumbers and heating engineers that do not know how to properly recharge or test a vessel

Again, never heard back after contacting. A regular pattern with plumbers over the years.

Why do so many requests for help on this forum (posed to us tradesmen, by a layperson) contain subtexts that slur, dig and poke at those of us in the industry?

Have you not heard the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you"?

Why do so many requests for help on this forum (posed to us tradesmen, by a layperson) contain subtexts that slur, dig and poke at those of us in the industry?

Have you not heard the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you"?

Because sadly, my experience of some plumbers being unreliable is astonishingly high.

Last edited:
Because sadly, my experience of plumbers being unreliable is astonishingly high. The guy who answered my post has said he hasn’t done it properly as he serviced my boiler. Do you want me to lie and say what a fantastic job he did ? All good plumbers have nothing to worry about but if the cap fits.

No need to lie. Why not just leave the gripe out of your post. It has no relevance to the answer you seek and just comes across as unnecessary baiting. I initially come on here to try and help people out but the constant moaning about plumbers rather than individuals gets my goat and makes me think... Oh well, fu©k you too! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back