Gas flue pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I'm finally getting round to putting a new pitch roof on my extension

I have a glow worm 30 cxi boiler

As I plan to do the roof myself I was concerned about the clearance if any needed with the roofing underlay and flue pipe which goes through the roof pitch
So I contacted glow worm tech who stated there must be 25mm gap around the flue pipe
But offer no solution to keep the
Underlay watertight other than buy a ready made watertight seal from a plumbing merchant

Spoke to my local building officer who again said I need a 25mm gap and I should not have any holes in the underlay to allow water ingress he suggested I should buy a watertight seal

No merchants I have tried sell such a thing

So what do the rest of you do ?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Firstly... drawings/sketches would help as each situation is unique.
Also, if your flue is routed through an enclosed/inaccessible space you need to provide inspection hatches at prescribed locations, before you even start worrying about making its exit watertight!

The regs require updating...25mm clearance isn't necessary due to temp of POC's not exceeding 70/80c max.
Cut the felt around the flue leaving a 25mm gap or tight up against if , the weather slate stops the ingress of water and not the felt.
Flue in void would be a moot point considering the flue system can be inspected throughout its length.

Sponsored Links
How do we know flue can be inspected throughout its length Steel? (Good to see you back btw ;))
How did you know I'd been banned?..have you been sneaking into the CC.;)
I would imagine the OP to install a loft hatch?...if not then you are correct....although technically a short vertical run through loft space will not require an inspection hatch as long as no joints (caravans etc).

Thanks for the replies

I think I will cut the hole with the 25mm clearance

I might fix a batten above the hole on the roof joists slopping down past the hole and bring down a vertical piece of underlay from the ridge folding under and over the slopping batten to create a trough
for any water ingress

With regards to the inspection hatch ,I take it that's for new installations,my boiler was installed by a corgi engineer some years ago don't fancy cutting in a hatch in my ceiling

Thanks kindly

Thanks for the replies

I might fix a batten above the hole on the roof joists slopping down past the hole and bring down a vertical piece of underlay from the ridge folding under and over the slopping batten to create a trough
for any water ingress

With regards to the inspection hatch ,I take it that's for new installations,my boiler was installed by a corgi engineer some years ago don't fancy cutting in a hatch in my ceiling

Thanks kindly

Nope, it applies to your flue too with regards to inspection

Thanks for the replies

for any water ingress

Thanks kindly

Are you going to take advice regarding regulations or ignore it, because you don't fancy it?

If the flue cannot be inspected fully and it passes through a loft space, with no access, then the next GSI/RGI who comes to your property should shut your boiler down and condemn the installation, until the contravention is corrected. This is why, I believe that annual inspection & certification, for ALL gas appliances at every dwelling, should be mandatory.

Thanks kindly

It makes no difference if it is an old or new installation.

Flues should really be inspectable over their entire length.

However, there is an argument that IF there are to be no joints then it does not need an inspection hatch ( which only needs to be big enough to see the flue ).

BUT, you seem to have ignored the new siting of the flue.

Above a pitched roof the flue has to be of significant height as specified by the boiler maker.

It sounds very likely to me that the flue may need to be extended to provide enough external height above the pitched roof.

The dimension which will be most relevant is not the height above the roof but the horizontal distance between the terminal and the pitched roof.

Tony

Are you going to take advice regarding regulations or ignore it, because you don't fancy it?

If the flue cannot be inspected fully and it passes through a loft space, with no access, then the next GSI/RGI who comes to your property should shut your boiler down and condemn the installation, until the contravention is corrected. This is why, I believe that annual inspection & certification, for ALL gas appliances at every dwelling, should be mandatory.

No they won't, if following the guidance. They will AR it, and turn it off. They may ask for permission to disconnect. They will apply a DO NOT USE label.

BUT, you seem to have ignored the new siting of the flue.

I'm not sure what your trying to say?
The flue and boiler was installed some years ago by a corgi engineer
There is no new sitting of the flue?

maybe I should of made it clearer
I'm taking the old roof off and putting a new on
The flue pipe is one continuous length through the pitch roof

The length of pipe hidden in the pitch roof from ceiling to top roof slate is about 5 inches

My main concern was keeping the roof watertight with the roof underlay as I need to have a 25mm gap of roof underlay around the flue pipe
Thanks

Just found this on gas safe site somewhat different to what some of you guys are saying

As firemanT states AR it but even then According to the below I can still use it ?

I haven’t had inspection hatches fitted. What does this mean for me?

If your gas engineer cannot examine the whole length of the flue they will advise you, in line with industry guidance, that it is 'At Risk', recommend that you do not use it and will ask your permission to turn it off. This is assuming that there are no kother indications that your boiler is not safe, regardless of the unknown condition of the flue.

'At Risk' is a risk classification used by gas engineers and means that your boiler and flue system could become dangerous in the future, in this case it is used because the engineer cannot examine the length of the flue to confirm it is safe. As a consumer you are within your rights to refuse permission for it to be turned off, however you will be asked to sign paperwork to confirm you accept responsibility for those defects identified in the system – in this case, the potential for fumes to escape unnoticed from the concealed flue into the property. Your gas engineer can continue to work on your boiler including servicing it and undertaking maintenance work.

If you have had your boiler serviced since January 2011, your gas engineer should have made you aware of the need for inspection hatches, giving you time to consider what action to take.

Owner-occupiers:

The law has not changed. What has changed is guidance to gas engineers in relation to them being able to examine the flue. There is no legal duty on you to have inspection hatches or other controls installed. If you choose not to have them, you should continue to have your boiler serviced and checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer who will advise that it is ‘At Risk’ (see above).

If you choose not to have inspection hatches fitted, industry has developed a safety system which can monitor the void through which the flue runs for carbon monoxide. This system will cause the boiler to be shutdown if and when carbon monoxide is detected. Your registered gas engineer will be able to provide you with further information on these systems. Inspection hatches remain the preferred option but the safety shut down system does afford you with a level of protection against an undetected failure of the flue.

Fitting carbon monoxide alarms are also a good second line of defence but are no replacement for an engineer being able to fully inspect the complete flue.

I have heard that there could be alternatives to having hatches fitted. Is this true?

Visual examination checks by engineers via inspection hatches is currently the preferred method recommended by the industry guidance that explains how to judge that a flue is working safely and effectively. However, where inspection hatches are not practicable industry has developed a safety system which is able to monitor the void for the presence of carbon monoxide and which cause the boiler to shut down if it is detected.

Speak to your Gas Safe registered engineer for advice on what solution may be appropriate for you.

Do I have to get inspection hatches by law?

No. There is no legal duty on the consumer to have inspection hatches installed. However, there is a long-standing legal duty on gas engineers to be able to examine the flue to ensure it is safe whenever they work on your boiler. In the majority of cases this will be only be possible though the installation of inspection hatches. If gas engineers cannot examine the flue along its length they will advise you that the installation is ‘At Risk’ and will seek your permission to turn it off.

It is important that this should not deter you from having your boilers serviced or maintained as this will at least confirm that the boiler itself is currently safe even if the flue cannot be confirmed as safe.

maybe post a couple photos here showing whats there already,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back