Gas, have the rules changed?

Just got my certificate through from Gas Safe / Building Compliance. Part of it says " It is a legal requirement for anyone carrying out any gas work on your behalf to be Gas Safe Registered."
Wow, stop the presses, trade body tells porkies to get people to use it's members. It is a lie, if you read the gas safety regulations you'll see that it's a lie.

But then, "It is mostly a legal requirement for anyone carrying out any gas work on your behalf to be Gas Safe Registered." doesn't carry the same gravitas.

Sponsored Links
Don't shoot the messenger simon, just saying what it said on the certificate from the building compliance people

My original post asking if the rules had changed came after I saw B&Q selling gas-fir installation kits.
You are arguing the semantics around the 'rule' saying that anyone carrying out work on your behalf should be registered but my question is about DIY not professional installing fittings themselves.

Technically it's still legal to get someone else to do work for you - as long as no "trade" is involved. Eg if you have a friend who knows his stuff and does it for you as a favour then that is allowed for in the gas safe regs.

If you offer to buy him a drink or three if he does it then it becomes illegal - you are offering a payment in kind. If you make no such offer, but happen to buy him a drink or three next time you're in the pub then that is legal.

All assuming that the friend is competent to do the work.

Sponsored Links
It's the 'competent to do the work' bit that alarms me. Having recently moved from a rural location to a terraced town house the thought of an enthusiastic near neighbour deciding to install something & making a mistake is slightly worrying.
I've had lots of experience with gas appliances fitted to pleasure boats, caravans & motorhomes and have seen the results of faulty installations.
Personally I don't think the large DIY sheds should sell gas fittings it should be left to the Builders Merchants.

It's the 'competent to do the work' bit that alarms me. Having recently moved from a rural location to a terraced town house the thought of an enthusiastic near neighbour deciding to install something & making a mistake is slightly worrying.
Indeed. Having watched, or seen the results from, some people who shouldn't be let loose changing a light bulb I'm inclined to agree with you.

Electrics have recently been deregulated as to what work requires notification.

I would never attempt gas work, as the margin for error is so much smaller, especially as we are on lpg which leaks more easily and pools from the ground up. Dangerous stuff.

Rewired my entire house bar a 25mm submain and a new consumer unit. No notification, as the regs have recently changed stating I don't need to notify, as all the work comes under the "change of existing circuits" work now not requiring notification.

Think most unexperienced diyers would be put off by the complex appearance of changing a consumer unit...

I'd disagree with that - I've seen dozens of CUs fitted by diyers. I don't really think it makes much difference that the sheds sell them as it's just as easy (cheaper too) to pick them up from the likes of Screwfix. I think B&Q have always sold some gas fittings and appliances anyway as well as their myriad electrical stuff.

Similar to the Gas Safe register, bodies such as NICEIC, NAPIT etc. (I'm NICEIC regd) do a lot of tub thumping about the advantages (nay, necessity!) of using their members but in all truth these organisations are a complete waste of space, using their members isn't generally legally necessary, and registration is nothing more than a tax on the professions.

To be competant under the law, anyone working with anything to do with gas must undertake formal training and assessments at an approved assessment centre....THE LAW

To be competant under the law, anyone working with anything to do with gas must undertake formal training and assessments at an approved assessment centre....THE LAW
No absolutely NOT the law. Your statement is complete rubbish.

We know many people like to perpetuate this myth - especially those who profit from it - but the reality is :
1) The requirement to be GS registered does not apply to everyone
2) The law does not require formal training or assessment.

GS registration is required for pretty well anyone in business, and formal training/assessment is the easiest way to demonstrate competence - but the law does not require it.

I'm sure this was covered somewhere in this old thread you resurrected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back