Gas Hob above the incoming meter? Regs Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've only recently found this forum and has to be said, there's some interesting reading still to be done but I have a question I can't find an answer to:

I'm redesigning my kitchen and it's pretty small with restrictions for equipment location (doors on 3 of the 4 walls) and would like to have the hob near the sink, it's currently the other side of the cooker, just about as far away as you can get on the only available wall.

Having used some planing software, having set it all out the hob lies almost directly above the meter location, are there any regs regarding this as all I can find is that cables need to be 25mm away and fuseboards/sockets etc 150mm and 760mm clearance above but nothing about below.

Now realising the hob is a source of ignition due to auto spark and naked flame, are there any regs regarding this? I'm not looking at doing the pipework myself but would hate to get everything set up for me to be told "you can't have it there mate by the GSE!

The instructions for the hob I'm looking at using give clearances at/above wortktop level etc but no mention of clearance below and no heat dissipation/ventilation required.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Phil

Sponsored Links
Hi Phil,

We as engineers use the manufacturers instructions, as every job is different, if there’s no mention in there, the it’s usually ok. It’s not one I’ve heard of before. Clearances are away from combustible materials and the pipes are away from a source of ignition.

Last edited:
Thank you guys,

I'll keep an eye on the post in case there are any conflicting replies but I really appreciate the responses.

Cheers

Phil

Sponsored Links
Yes would say this is fine to gas regs.
Only thing I would mention, I remember there being a safety bulletin a while ago regarding the 'relaxing' of meter washers after tightening meter connections resulting in the meter leaking slightly.
If the meter was in a box external of the building then this obviously wouldn't be as dangerous as an internal meter especially one directly below a hob.
I would say if the meter connections are ever disturbed for any reason then get tightness tests done on completion and a couple of hours later to be sure.

Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back