Gas hob and oven need two bayonet sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed my old gas oven and am replacing it with a built in hob and separate oven. I am assuming both of these will have bayonet connectors. However I only have one bayonet socket.

Can you get somthing as simple as a bayonet spliter which would provide two sockets?
Or is it a job for the plumber to put in a second socket?

Cheers,
Niels

Sponsored Links
A gas hob needs to be piped in and the oven if it is gas is ok on a micropoint fitting (simular to yhe bayonet).

reason the oven is on flexible tube is for ease of servicing, (drawing oven out of unit)
but the hob must be solid pipe.

Clf-gas,

Thanks for that. Makes sense.

I take it the plumber will take a pipe off the existing cooker gas supply for the hob. Weld that in place then the cooker can be connected and pushed into place.

You mentioned a "micropoint fitting". Does the bayonet fitting or micropoint fitting come with cooker or is that something the plumber has to attach?
In which case I presume that bayonet fitting is now a bit old hat and a micropoint fitting is what is generally used nowadays?

Sorry for asking so many newbie questions.

Cheers,
Niels

I take it the plumber will take a pipe off the existing cooker gas supply for the hob. Weld that in place then the cooker can be connected and pushed into place.

spot on.

You mentioned a "micropoint fitting". Does the bayonet fitting or micropoint fitting come with cooker or is that something the plumber has to attach?

Bayonet or micropoint both in use, I prefer the micropoint becuase there is very little room for larger bayonet behind oven when installed.

Sponsored Links
Someone once suggested to me that the micropoint is approved for use in the Midlands but not in London.

That would sound odd but I have to say I have never seen one in London!

They are more expensive though!

Tony

1/2" fitting and micropoint hose £7 up north, Where the air is clean and ale comes with an head on it :LOL:

clf-gas said:
A gas hob needs to be piped in and the oven if it is gas is ok on a micropoint fitting (simular to yhe bayonet).

reason the oven is on flexible tube is for ease of servicing, (drawing oven out of unit)
but the hob must be solid pipe.

Wrong clf-gas.

The hob may be connected using a flexible hose if the manufacturer says it's ok in the instruction manual.

Hmm,

Just a figure of speech doitall on clf-gas part, industry standard is preferred if using fixed pipework, although we do bow down to MI's. But, lately, most insist on rigid pipework.

Unless a mickey-mouse hob from Ubekistan or somewhere :LOL:

GodKnows said:
Hmm,

Just a figure of speech doitall on clf-gas part, industry standard is preferred if using fixed pipework, although we do bow down to MI's. But, lately, most insist on rigid pipework.

Unless a mickey-mouse hob from Ubekistan or somewhere :LOL:

Wrong as well GodKnows.

Flexible connectors are perfectly exceptable unless the manufacturer say different

Thanks for all the replies. I now have a reasonable understanding of what needs doing before I talk to my plumber.

Cheers,
Niels

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back