Gas hob blows fuse and trips RCD & MCB when not in use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our AEG 5 burner gas hob blows its fuse (the one in its plug) and trips the RCD and MCD. The odd thing (to me, at least) is that this happens when it's not being used - e.g. it happened whilst we were on holiday. Replacing the fuse (3A) provides a temporary fix for a limited interval (perhaps a few days or weeks). Then it does it again (again, when not in use).

I'm assuming fitting a higher rated fuse (e.g. 5A or 13A) would be inadvisable since the current draw on such a device ought to be very low (just for the igniters). I would think it's a neutral to earth fault somewhere - perhaps an igniter or terminal block or wiring.

Any ideas on how to find the fault and fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It will not be a neutral to earth fault, because that would not blow the fuse - thought it might trip an RCD/RCBO.

It will be a live to earth, or live to neutral fault. Check the flex end to end from the plug to the igniter unit for damage, if there is no damage then it must be the igniter unit. Replacement units are not expensive.

Thanks Harry.
Yes - makes sense that it'd be a live to earth/neutral fault.
So far, I can't see any damage to the flex, so I think it must be on of the 5 igniters. I suspect identifying which - and removing the unit to replace the igniter (even though I think I have a spare one somewhere) - may be beyond me, not least as I think the unit may need disconnecting from the gas to access the insides ...

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harry.
Yes - makes sense that it'd be a live to earth/neutral fault.
So far, I can't see any damage to the flex, so I think it must be on of the 5 igniters. I suspect identifying which - and removing the unit to replace the igniter (even though I think I have a spare one somewhere) - may be beyond me, not least as I think the unit may need disconnecting from the gas to access the insides ...

The igniters, on everything I have been involved with - seem to be just one unit, with what ever number of HT outlets are needed. The spark appears on all of the outlets, whether they need ingniting or not, when the button is pressed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back