Gas installer can't fit cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i live in a council flat in Paisley, Glasgow and i've just had a duel fuel cooker delivered but the gas engineer (hotpoint) said he's not allowed to install it due to there being plastic casing directly behind the oven, the socket for the electricity in the wrong area, and this random pipe with no markings as to wether its gas or water.

i have no other means of being able to cook besides my microwave and the council inspector isn't going to be out until January 7th, thats if they even go ahead with the repair which i highly doubt.

can anyone shed some light on this or had similar issues in their (ex) council homes? seems odd to me that i have a cooker area with no way of installing a cooker?

Sponsored Links
Can comment on the electrics, other than I would guess it should be an socket chased into the wall rather than wall mounted, but there is no gas pipe with bayonet for a gas cooker anyway.
Were you able to reject the dual fuel cooker? You could always get something like this to tie you over: Andrew James Mini Oven with Hob

I guess you will need the council to send out an electrician and gas engineer to get it ready for an oven. Or get an all electric oven to fit in the gap. I am still using a £150 cooker I bought from Currys 2 1/2 years ago ... https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...ic-solid-plate-cooker-white-10179280-pdt.html
a Currys delivery driver might install it, especially if you pay for installation - I can't really remember how they do it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back