Gas main and plant roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I moved into my house just over 2 years ago, there was no gas main to my house so we had 1 put in by the national grid (or contractors highered by them) so it should all be done legally, anyway ive just went an planted some rose bush's, after digging down about 6 inches i find some yellow tape saying caution, I'm not sure how far down the pipe is as I stopped digging, question is, will the roots from the Rosie's ive just planted affect my gas pipe?

Thanks dan

Sponsored Links
im guessing not as they wont grow as big as tree roots and tend to be lots of little ones instead of a few big roots etc.

if posible can you dig down alittle more and pass the gas pipe?

Hi, thanks for the reply, ive already planted them, ive got some more to plant but I'll try digging down more, I thought the ground would be soft with all the rain but it was quite hard an clumpy

Sponsored Links
A gas service pipe should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of 375 mm in private ground and 450 mm in footpaths and highways.

This is from the HSE guidance on gas mains, please be aware this is guidance and not a requirement...

the pipe may be shallower or deeper, all depends on who did it and how...

The tape is there to highlight that there is something hazardous below so that you stop digging*. So don't dig down further.

Plant roots damage drains because drains have water in them, which is good for plants. Plant roots won't seek out gas so your gas main will be fine.

*or in future years you or your successors stop yanking out the roots when you don't want the rose bush any more

You should contact your nearby utility providers which tell you the exact locations of the utilities such as gas pipelines and can protect you from severe damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back