Gas Meter Box woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the tale -

last year my energy supplier offered free smart meter installation which I took up, they set a date, turned up, but the first british gas engineer suggested that because the gas pipes went through the cavity wall and in the event of a gas leak gas could fill the wall cavity, he would have to refer it to national grid to fix this.

national grid came out and called BG lazy and that they were trying to get out of a tricky installation, and claimed all they could do would be to fill the cavity with fire proof expanding foam (its what gas safe had recomended for this very problem).

BG came back out, but the second engineer was shaking his head as he got out his van, even before seeing the installation or fix, he said to me "I wont be able to do anything - this is a waste of time" ... slagging off national grid, suggesting that they had been court ordered to fix these historic installations (Pmarley ? pamarly? box installations) but because there was no time limit on this fix national grid were trying to delay these while they fought the decision in the courts.

this second engineer claimed the foam filler was NOT a recognised fix, the box itself was damaged, and the mains tap could fall to on. he called the national grid out yet again.

the NG bloke came back, claiming there was NOTHING wrong with the installation, glued a bit of plastic over the bottom of the box inside, fitted putty around the pipes and changed the mains tap. told me there was NOTHING BG could complain about stopping them from installing the smart meter.

out came BG again, same second engineer - he just kicked off over the botched repairs and ranted to a supervisor before telling me NG needed to fit a proper sealed new style box.

I gave up at this point, Its a day of leave from work each time I had to wait in for these engineers, and i seemed to be stuck in a tug of war between NG and BG.

From others on my estate - there seems to be a magic combination of energy supplier and NG eventually agreeing or offering a gas meter box / meter upgrade. My wifes parents live on the same estate and went through a similar experience, over years and year of back and forth, eventually they were contacted out the blue and told they could have an upgrade. they took out the gas meter box, fitted a new version that was sealed, pipes re routed on the outside of the house into the box,etc etc. there was a mass of crap that went on for them with various parties refusing to do one thing or another but it eventually got sorted eventually.

anyway - my neighbour had something similar - NG just showed up and swapped the installation, Im trying to figure out what I need to do.

I dont want to have to pays several hundred if I could just wait and 'someone' will eventually do it for me for free. the NG engineer confused things more by suggesting if the internal cavity was walled up (ie the pipes were inside a cavity sealed up) NG would upgrade the installation for free for safety reasons. ?? I even wondered if I just walled up my pipes and called them back it would force their hand? but seemed a stupid thing to do.

Ive lived in this house for about 17 years and never touched the gas meter box apart from fitting a new door over the top of the smashed previous one.

looks to me that at installation, whoever fitted the meter instead of drilling holes through the floor of the box, just whacked a hole through with a hammer. the gas mains pipe goes in through the wall below the box and through said hole into the meter which just floats off the pipes inside the box. the whole installation looks W4NK ! but - its always worked - never let me down, its just now that BG are refusing to upgrade to a smart meter.

its a little frustrating as all the energy supplier advertisements and even the gaz and lekky advert claims that everyone can have a smart meter at no cost to the homeowner. Doesn't entirely seem accurate.

How do I get my entire installation upgraded for free, is there a magic combination of energy supplier and circumstance, or are some energy suppliers more entitled to help out than others, and if I do have to get this fixed myself - who? how? how much typically ?

20170426_195928.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have seen this situation in our trade mag. But I cant recall what was the recommended course of action.BG guys are probably correct. A gas pipe can pass THROUGH a wall but must be the most direct route and sleeved. That does not comply.

Why do you want the smart meter installed? Does it offer YOU any benefits?

Smart meters are being advertised as they can save you money but unless your oblivious to your energy usage and leave appliances, cookers switched on when not in use then it will offer you no savings. The only benefit to you will be a 2min saving not having to give a meter reading. ALL the real benefits of these meters are for the energy suppliers not their customers (being able to monitor your usage, sell/use that information, cut off your supply etc...).

Sponsored Links
The smart meter could have been fitted.unless.

Unless,the smart meter needs to be installed onto a meter bracket secured to a wall/floor or if the smart meter fitter is only contracted to just straight swap the meter-who knows ?.

Once the smart meter is installed then the smart ! installer would contact NG they will visit and tell you what they have already told you.

Others will have different views.

Further action,well they have given you the run around and not advised on a resolution (or have they ?) so do nothing and wait until it becomes compulsory,then it will be fitted with no cost to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah 5 light cap and linings with 5 to 10 adaptors lead pipes with cupped joints blown on site with a mouth blow lamp, real gas fitting. Happy days, why I'm going all misty eyed.;););)

Still got your turnpin and tallow not to mention full fat lead solder.

Yes, I will also be interested to hear why you think a smart meter is so important to you.

You have not said on what basis you take days off work, holiday or without pay?

Regardless, you have used up holiday or lost pay and all for something which, if installed, will benefit the gas supplier and not you!

Tony

I wonder if the original meter was inside the house. Then an external meter was fitted without re-routing the supply pipe up the outside of the wall to the new meter box. That would have avoided the inconvenient ( and maybe expensive ) task of re-placing what appears to be a metal service pipe.

I agree with the comments about the ( negative ) value of having a smart meter installed.

I think it is virtually certain the meter was fitted like that when the house was built.

I wonder if the original meter was inside the house.
Maybe the meter installer was doing his/her part for the environment by re using the lead connections,most fitters would be into the recycle idea and make some cash from the lead/brass.

Dont know the age of that meter but a few years back there was a national meter exchange programme where leather diaphragm gas meters (black spot) were exchanged to electronic or a synthetic diaphragm meter. S on the index display or a S sticker on the meter indicates synthetic.

so maybe there is previous history on that meter and sod all has been done,just an idea.

Yes, I will also be interested to hear why you think a smart meter is so important to you.
In this case,this case only the smart meter could be a good idea as some of them older meters could be very inaccurate and in favour of

yes you are correct.

I was looking to upgrade to Smart meters last year, primarily to try and educate my daughter about switching lights off, and putting a jumper on rather than turning the heating up....

E-ON chap came out, Electric meter, no issues, Gas, well a lot of sucking through his teeth for a minute or 2, then tells me he cant do it as ECV wasnt correct, lead pipework on meter, and several other reasons he mentioned. Called it in to his boss, and called NG out to it.

NG turn up a while later, start calling E-ON names, and says not their job, E-ON being lazy, its E-ON's responsibility to sort it out and they throwing these jobs back to help them get their quota for each day done.

So I call E-ON back, who are adamant they 'don't do pipework alterations', and its National Grids job. I got passed from pillar to post before someone at National Grid tells me I need to speak to the 'Meter Asset Manager', which could be 'National Grid Metering', which is a different department to them' (National Grid Distribution), but need to speak to E-ON to find out who the Meter Asset Manager is.

E-ON tell me, 'Yes it is NG Metering', so I ring them, and a very helpful lady takes my details and makes an appointment for someone to come and sorts things out. Guy duly turns up, and first thing he says? 'This is E-ON's responsibility to sort out'! I then went mad, and told him I was sick of being messed about and someone needed to take responsibility for the job. He admitted it was NCS, before he said anything else. He then called his boss, and between them agreed they'd sort it as he was here, but really E-ON should have done it.....

Now changed energy providers, and I'll keep climbing on a chair to read the electric meter!

i expect these meter changers are to incompetent to sort pipework out

NG man changed ECV, (live) by plugging the pipe, and did a good job of tidying it all up. I don't expect the Meter changer would have been able to change the ECV, and to be honest, I don't think I'd have trusted him to do anything more than change a meter!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back