Gas Meter Box woes

Ah 5 light cap and linings with 5 to 10 adaptors lead pipes with cupped joints blown on site with a mouth blow lamp, real gas fitting. Happy days, why I'm going all misty eyed.;););)
5 Light and 10 light, terms I have not heard for many many years, the CCC on here will not have a clue what you are talking about

Sponsored Links
I did City and Guilds 603 Plumbing Craft, 1989-1991 and I've never heard of them! :eek:
Hi Hugh not sure if it was a "Gas Board" thing they are meter washers, I was a bit earlier than you but some of the old BG lads still call them 5 light and ten light, havent a clue where the name came from

Sponsored Links
Meter capacity/Union size dependant on how many gas lights were being fed.
Steel you are the man I had no clue why they were called that, up here it is fivealight and tenalight, never knew why the term though

Iicr it was to do with meter sizes 5 light was a 3/4 inch connection and 10 light was 1 inch connection.

5 or 10 light refers to the amount of gas the meter would pass,now days it would be u6 or u16

The light meaning could be historically linked to gas lighting,maybe 5 gas lights,1 cooker,2 gas fires.
10 gas lights,1 cooker,2 gas fires and a water heater.

The days before central heating and smartarse meters.

yes fivealight was 3/4 and 10alight was inch, just never knew why they were called that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back