Gas Meter Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've searched to no avail... :cry:

Also realise, that 'building' may have been a better home for this thread... :D

Anyhoo!

I've got to fit a new gas meter box for my brother in law soon. Just a few questions...

1, Where can you buy them - Builders Merchants?
2, I will be fitting a recessed unit, does this mean that only the outer skin wall is cut out? If so do I have to fit a lintel?
3, I've heard the unit has to be fitted above the DPC, if so this is a prob... Any solutions to this?
4, The best location is close to the boiler, presumably there is minimum distance, does anyone know what this is?
5, At present, the meter is in the kitchen, will Transco move the feed pipe aswell? (Standing room in the cellar beneath, and new location only about two metres away)
6, Is there anything else I should be aware of?

TIA
MMJ

Sponsored Links
1 yes
2 normally havent come across one yet with a lintel
3 never had the prob / surface box ?
4 pass
5 yes
6 dont forget to seal the sleeve where it enters the wall
7 dont forget the earth bond :)

Sponsored Links
There is also a semi concealed box avialable that gets buried into ground,saves chopping out the wall.

namsag said:
There is also a semi concealed box avialable that gets buried into ground,saves chopping out the wall.

Cheers Gasman, but the box will have to sit in the wall, situated at the side of the house with a driveway adjacent.

rotinajderennamdlim
;)

Have done my gas & electric a few years ago and the boxes are available from Jewson's

They come with a full instruction for the location of the external meter cupboards type you want.

If I remember rightly, Tranco will run a gas pipe up to 2 metre and anything above 2 metre will need a corgi register plumber.

More details here

Look at bes.ltd.uk for gas meter enclosures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back