Gas meter- consumer side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Silly question- but the consumer side of the gas meter is the side without the on/off valve, meaning that the meter itself is on the consumer side?

Sponsored Links
The consumer side is generally taken as being the outlet of the meter. Why do you ask?

The consumer side is generally taken as being the outlet of the meter. Why do you ask?

A friend wants me to earth bond it with 10mm. It seems counter intuitive to have the consumer side after the on/off valve and meter

One wonders why you are doing earth bonding when you are not an electrician and its considered a safety related part.

Tony

Sponsored Links
the consumer side is the side without the emergency cut-off valve. the bond must be within 600mm of the meter outlet and before a tee if you are a gas engineer or where the gas pipe enters the building if you are an electrician. The bond must be tested by a qualified electrician.

Sorry, to fill in the whole picture. His consumer unit has an earth running to the 100 amp fuse but nothing from there after. I am also running a single earth to the consumer side of the water stop cock.

He wanted to have an external power point fitted for his car. The power point installation is free but they noticed the lack of earth bonding and he was quoted £500 for bonding from the consumer unit to the main water stop cock and gas meter, I believe the quote for 500 was from British gas and would have been in adhesive trunking on top of the skirting.

I am doing it at half the cost but removing the skirting to hide the 10mm earthing. Materials are at cost, 50m of 10mm from toolstation plus clamps at £48 plus adhesive, filler etc

the consumer side is the side without the emergency cut-off valve. the bond must be within 600mm of the meter outlet and before a tee if you are a gas engineer or where the gas pipe enters the building if you are an electrician. The bond must be tested by a qualified electrician.

Not very well explained and not entirely true !!

He wanted to have an external power point fitted for his car. The power point installation is free but they noticed the lack of earth bonding and he was quoted £500 for bonding from the consumer unit to the main water stop cock and gas meter, I believe the quote for 500 was from British gas and would have been in adhesive trunking on top of the skirting.

I am doing it at half the cost but removing the skirting to hide the 10mm earthing. Materials are at cost, 50m of 10mm from toolstation plus clamps at £48 plus adhesive, filler etc
[/quote]

Who are "they" and why are they fitting an outside mains electrical point free? :confused:

One wonders why you are doing earth bonding when you are not an electrician and its considered a safety related part.

Tony

A qualified electrician told me that it is quite legal for me to do so.

mind you I do wonder why the fellow that originally fitted the consumer unit did not seem concerned that the earth that he fitted from the consumer unit to the main earth block was not connected to anything else.

Who are "they" and why are they fitting an outside mains electrical point free? :confused:[/quote]

It is some kind of government incentive, they pay British Gas who then fits them.

For him the extra cost of a hybrid is more than offset by the waiving of congestion charging and the free use of municipal charging points (and the free 3 hour parking). All he needs to do now is workout a way of securing the charging lead when in use, they cost £1200 !!!

All the charging points I have look at seem to need a card to use them. I can only assume they also make a charge.

An outdoor mains socket also needs an RCD in the supply to it.

Just because a consumer unit has been fitted does not mean that it has been done properly by a qualified person.

Tony

All the charging points I have look at seem to need a card to use them. I can only assume they also make a charge.

An outdoor mains socket also needs an RCD in the supply to it.

Just because a consumer unit has been fitted does not mean that it has been done properly by a qualified person.

Tony

AfAIK the card costs a tenner but the electricity at the public points is provided at no cost. I may however have been wrong about the free parking.

the consumer unit does have a 2005 date of last inspection sticker and where it says date of next inspection the box just says "see report". My friend moved in after that date.

the consumer unit does have a 2005 date of last inspection sticker and where it says date of next inspection the box just says "see report". My friend moved in after that date.
Is this report available?

The lack of next inspection date probably means the label is just when the place was last inspected - the results of which probably contained a list of failures the length of a toilet roll.
The lack of date is because the next inspection would depend on when / if the defects were repaired.

Certainly no main bonding is a huge fail, and realistically should have been identified when ANY electrical work was done in the place - it's one of the primary items which should always be checked, even for minor work.

If there is a gas boiler or whatever, it should have been checked when that was serviced as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back