Is this meter installation safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a follow up to my post a couple of days ago about an Ovo engineer raising an AR on my meter box for the consumer side pipework exiting through the top of the box, to which several forum members commented on - many thanks!

I've since shown the photo of the installation to another meter installer who's comments were that he wouldn't have ARd it, but that he'd be more worried about the meter only being supported by the union fitting on the supply side.

So my question this time is: Is this meter installation actually safe, from the point of view of meter support? Should I raise a comlaint against Ovo to get them to rectify the support?

Smart Meter.jpg

Sponsored Links
It does need supporting both sides but highly unlikely that OVO would have altered the pipework. It would probably have been like that on the previous meter installation

OVO have JS to do with outlet side.
Outlet side is your responsibility

It would seem the connector used is not appropriate for the meter bracket

hard to tell by photo have an actual look and see if there is a groove in the fitting on the outlet side (right)that slots into bracket
i have seen very similar fittings that are perfectly ok groove just hard to see.
If your on about left hand side that certainly looks like it has a groove into bracket

Sponsored Links
hard to tell by photo have an actual look and see if there is a groove in the fitting on the outlet side (right)that slots into bracket
i have seen very similar fittings that are perfectly ok groove just hard to see.
If your on about left hand side that certainly looks like it has a groove into bracket
Thanks (again) for the response gas112. If I'm interpreting the responses correctly (?) you're saying that the means of support on the supply side - union fitting (is that what they're called?) with a groove in it is fine? There's definitely not a groove on the outlet/consumer side.

Maybe that's also why the Ovo engineer raised the AR, rather than taking the few minutes (and the part) to fix it.

Follow up question: Can I get a gas fitter to correct the outlet/consumer side without involving the supplier? Any idea what the "correct" part (i.e. the union with the groove) is called?
Top of outlet.jpg

yeah no prob getting a fitter to fix it . looks 28mm pipe so this fitting
. .
IF pipe is 22mm then this fitting

Maybe that's also why the Ovo engineer raised the AR, rather than taking the few minutes (and the part) to fix it.
Meter changer is not there to change the connections, only swop the meter. Also, right hand side belongs to you so you need to get that sorted.
If the meter was sitting on a shelf, outlet connection would be appropriate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back