Smart meter - does this look safe?

They may be; this has had the opposite impact to what should have happened. I have no idea how much electric we're using.
Crazy idea anyway. Everybody knows gas and electric cost £££, they use as little as they need to keep warm etc. They're not going to switch things off which need to be on, even if they can see what it costs hour by hour.

Sponsored Links
But I thought the digital displays near the distribution board would still display meter readings but they're completely blank
If the gas and electricity meters themselves don't have anything on the displays, there is something fundamentally wrong with them.
On the gas meter, you will probably have to press a button to activate the display.
Electricity meter should have something on the display all the time, button(s) used to change what is displayed.

The portable display part is unrelated, it's just a display and won't affect anything even if not working.

Can you add a photo of the electricity meter? (Not necessary to use external sites for photos, just copy/paste or drag photo into the reply box)

press button on meter to wake up the display then scroll through for readings and they wont have drilled into floor as you can clearly see the incoming other services there and they wont want possibility of hitting it no matter how remote

This never worked, we have no electricity readings on the smart meter and both meters in the cupboard are blank so we're having estimated bills with no way to update.

Blank is perfectly normal - you have to press a button to see a reading in the display. Various button presses provide various information about your consumption - you need to read the booklets which came with the actual meters, to know which buttons to press to get the actual meter reading.

On my two meters, I have to press '9'.

Sponsored Links
Cancel your direct debit, and tell your suppliers you will reinstate it when the problem is resolved. In those circumstances, they cannot cut you off.
Put it in writing with a signed for delivery.

Cancel your direct debit, and tell your suppliers you will reinstate it when the problem is resolved. In those circumstances, they cannot cut you off.
Put it in writing with a signed for delivery.

It hasn't yet been established that the blank display is not due to the OP's failure to press a button.

Sorry for delay. Yeah I'd pressed the buttons, however I've just tried holding one of them down and sure enough I have a display, this seems obvious but I'd spoken to a few people from the power company and noone has suggested this. However I have to hold it behind the meter it moves so much which, back to my original question, surely can't be a good thing...

Sorry for delay. Yeah I'd pressed the buttons, however I've just tried holding one of them down and sure enough I have a display, this seems obvious but I'd spoken to a few people from the power company and noone has suggested this. However I have to hold it behind the meter it moves so much which, back to my original question, surely can't be a good thing...

That is how they normally work - nothing on the display, until you press a button, so your meter is working normally. I agree, I would not be happy having to hold the meter, to press a button.

As the meter appears to be working, presumably your supplier can access the readings, so it's odd you're getting estimated bills. I would ask them what's going on.
I don't know whether with a smart meter you can still submit your readings online, but if so, now you know how to read it, you could do that.

Or now you can compare the estimates with the actual reading. This will help you decide how to proceed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back