Smart meter - does this look safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just before covid a Scottish power engineer came to install a smart meter for gas and electric.

This never worked, we have no electricity readings on the smart meter and both meters in the cupboard are blank so we're having estimated bills with no way to update.

Anyway my real question is this - I just pressed a button on the gas meter to see if it would show a reading and realised it's extremely loose, the bolts which I assume should be put through the holes at the bottom of the unit are not there so it's just hanging from the gas pipes and wobbles if you touch it. This doesn't seem safe if it's making gas pipe joints flex but I don't know what I'm talking about so would greatly appreciate some opinions.

Here's a pic - I'm not sure if it's clear but the bottom plate is only lightly resting on the floor so it's not really supported.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TAkQ36wQqbLUbSBj6

Sponsored Links
How do you or they propose to rationalise the estimated consumption figures. You could well be being charged far too much ( or maybe far too little) At best they are guessing what you use - not estimating. Think you should be bending their ear to replace with meters that work.

How do you or they propose to rationalise the estimated consumption figures. You could well be being charged far too much ( or maybe far too little) At best they are guessing what you use - not estimating. Think you should be bending their ear to replace with meters that work.

They told us that they are receiving our figures daily, however they are stated on our account as estimates. They say we can leave and they can provide final readings of needed. It's not great either way as we're unable to check anything. I'm worried that switching provider will end up in a load of noone knowing how to proceed and Scottish power not returning any credit we have. We've complained a lot and they've said they can't do anything until engineers are back to capacity.

My larger concern is about the quality of the installation and whether it's safe given there are buttons on the meter and when you press these the pipes flex quite a bit.

If that's the case then ask them for the monthly records since they installed the meters. Copy all correspondence to OfGen, especially the part where they suggested you change supplier.

Sponsored Links
Impossible to comment on the installation from your photo. Need to move back a bit and get more light on it

Impossible to comment on the installation from your photo. Need to move back a bit and get more light on it

How's this:
G55om2dj8HjzuVRB7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G55om2dj8HjzuVRB7

If it was touching the floor it wouldn't move so much but I can't press the buttons without holding the back of the unit to keep it still.

That meter bracket doesn't appear to be screwed to the floor...

I'll second that.
They may be; this has had the opposite impact to what should have happened. I have no idea how much electric we're using.

However a shoddy, potentially unsafe installation is a different matter...

It's not exactly a rip-off but it is a piece of sh!t. My two meters won't communicate, therefore I can't see my usage etc. I've been complaining since day one but I'm no further forward.

It's not exactly a rip-off but it is a piece of sh!t. My two meters won't communicate, therefore I can't see my usage etc. I've been complaining since day one but I'm no further forward.

Did your analogue/digital in-cupboard meters stop working when you had the 'smart' meter installed?

I don't know what you mean. My old meters were replaced by so called Smart Meters.
Explained badly. But I thought the digital displays near the distribution board would still display meter readings but they're completely blank i.e. it's not just the portable handset part that doesn't speak to those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back