Removing Gas Meters: Gas Safe Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, need to check the legality of something with you Gas Safe guys.

We're having much of our front wall rebuilt/re-pointed. 3 gas meters are screwed to the wall via old render, which has been stripped from the rest of the building. Our builder needs the meters to be unscrewed so that he can strip the remaining render and repair the brickwork. Our Gas Safe engineer said he could cap the pipes, remove the meters, then replace them at the end of the day. HOWEVER, our builder needs the meters to be unscrewed from the wall for a few days (and we don't want to be without gas for that length of time). Our builder doesn't care if the meters are still attached to the pipes, just so long as they not screwed to wall any more: he needs them to be 'free-standing' so that he can replace/re-point whatever bricks need doing.

Our Gas Safe guy says that it's illegal not to have the meters screwed to a wall. Is it illegal to screw them to a board instead, for stability? (this is our builder's 'solution') I don't want to be in the situation of paying another call-out charge only to be told by the engineer that what the builder is proposing is illegal and can't be done. Advice please. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
"illegal" is probably the wrong word, but the gas safe man is technically correct. Meters must be supported.
OK thanks, but can they be supported by a wooden board that isn't attached to the wall? (it's just there to provide stability)

Why can't the remedial works be done in a day? Can't be that much to do behind a gas meter surely?

Sponsored Links
Hi all, need to check the legality of something with you Gas Safe guys.

We're having much of our front wall rebuilt/re-pointed. 3 gas meters are screwed to the wall via old render, which has been stripped from the rest of the building. Our builder needs the meters to be unscrewed so that he can strip the remaining render and repair the brickwork. Our Gas Safe engineer said he could cap the pipes, remove the meters, then replace them at the end of the day. HOWEVER, our builder needs the meters to be unscrewed from the wall for a few days (and we don't want to be without gas for that length of time). Our builder doesn't care if the meters are still attached to the pipes, just so long as they not screwed to wall any more: he needs them to be 'free-standing' so that he can replace/re-point whatever bricks need doing.

Our Gas Safe guy says that it's illegal not to have the meters screwed to a wall. Is it illegal to screw them to a board instead, for stability? (this is our builder's 'solution') I don't want to be in the situation of paying another call-out charge only to be told by the engineer that what the builder is proposing is illegal and can't be done. Advice please. Thanks.

They don't NEED to be screwed to wall. But, as per Dan, they can't just hang about.
Photo's ?

Why can't the remedial works be done in a day? Can't be that much to do behind a gas meter surely?

A bay window was removed in the 70s and bricked up - the new wall incorporating a smaller window. All other windows were made smaller and the gaps bricked up. The 'workmanship' is shocking (total cowboys) so they covered everything with render. There's been a serious damp problem ever since. About 40% of the wall needs new bricks, including those behind the meters (they're situated in the bricked-up bay). The meters can't be screwed back onto drying brickwork.

They don't NEED to be screwed to wall. But, as per Dan, they can't just hang about.
Photo's ?

I could post photos, but there's nothing to see at present. So far, only the render for the building has been stripped (except round the meters). And so I return to my original question, to prevent the meters 'hanging about' is it OK to leave them still attached to the pipes but screwed to a board for stability? (this is my builder's suggestion). Would a Gas Safe engineer be unlikely to agree to this? If so, our builder will have to do it, unless it's not safe? (and no way would we let him remove the meters - he'll have to attach them to a board while still connected).

I'd say build boxes for them to sit on with a back board that can hold the wall bracket.

My gas meter has been sat in my kitchen cupboard on a brick for 20 years with no other support from the anconda coming in or lead pipework going out and has been regularly "safety" checked by my gas suppliers without issue.

My gas meter has been sat in my kitchen cupboard on a brick for 20 years with no other support from the anconda coming in or lead pipework going out and has been regularly "safety" checked by my gas suppliers without issue.
Not the same thing

Indeed, not the same thing. I don't want to call out our engineer a second time only to be told that he won't chance what our builder is proposing. The call out charge is hefty and I can't speak to engineers directly (call centre, who always say something can be done...obviously not). With the first call out, I asked the guy if he could temporarily extend the pipes away from the wall, to give our guy room to work behind them. This is when he said that the meters had to be screwed to the wall, so he wouldn't do the work (he'd be liable if the pipes were damaged from not being secured).

Indeed, not the same thing. I don't want to call out our engineer a second time only to be told that he won't chance what our builder is proposing. The call out charge is hefty and I can't speak to engineers directly (call centre, who always say something can be done...obviously not). With the first call out, I asked the guy if he could temporarily extend the pipes away from the wall, to give our guy room to work behind them. This is when he said that the meters had to be screwed to the wall, so he wouldn't do the work (he'd be liable if the pipes were damaged from not being secured).
Ok was going to day you neeftotalk to the fitter. Whatever we say here will not aways a later his stance. An individual RHI may stretch a reg. but only after seeing and feeling a situation.
Then I noticed call out charged and a call centre. Unless you HAVE to use them for some rrador, do them. Use the gas Safe find an installer facility and find an independent. Generally less expensive and more common sense. IMO

Gerry555, Hi please remember your gas technician has seen the installation and given you the best advice in #1.

Please try not to compromise the advice from your gas technician,many will not be interested in your work and walk away :mrgreen:

currently having a basement conversation in W14 (olympia) where the existing 4 gas meter boxes and service will need relocation,no problems but its costing me a few quid to relocate the freeholders into a travel lodge style hotel down the road whilst they have no gas.

Not a problem at all,you just need a decent project leader (y) its not diy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back