Replacing kitchen units but gas meter under sink - what do we do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to be installing our own kitchen (DIY Kitchens) in the new year. Most of the units have been ripped out already, except the one at the far end which houses our gas meter. Currently the meter is on a bracket which is screwed into the base unit, I think it was installed around 2012? Anyway, I'm a very cautious person and I'm very well aware of strict regulations involving gas meters and appliances, so rest assured I won't be doing anything stupid, but I genuinely have no idea - what are our options for unscrewing and re-fixing the meter on the new unit?

While I'm here, there seems to be a lot of debate around this, are we allowed to disconnect our gas oven/hob ourselves next week for when the new floors get put in? I know we'll need a Gas Safe engineer to fully disconnect and cap the pipes eventually, as we're switching to electric/induction, but what can we legally and safely do ourselves?

My husband, while very handy, is overly confident with all these things :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back