Removing the gas meter outside property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
very quick question chaps

Had a new boiler installed at weekend by a gas safe reg. Engineer. To isolate the gas supply he disconnected the meter (the brown box with the meter numbers on it) completely took it off.

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Did he alter gas pipe work close to the meter ? Some disconnect meter when soldering gas pipe work. I don't understand what the issue is with him disconnecting anyway or are you just asking?

Sponsored Links
it should be removed and capped along with the supply or atleast capped in position on the outlet side, many dont bother and just use the ecv in the off position after a tightness test. Removing it is the correct way so it sounds like he was doing it right.

very quick question chaps

Had a new boiler installed at weekend by a gas safe reg. Engineer. To isolate the gas supply he disconnected the meter (the brown box with the meter numbers on it) completely took it off.

Is this normal?
It's not just normal, it's required and should be done whenever any work is carried out on gas pipework

its is not required when ANY work is carried out its required when a blowlamp is used

thanks guys, yes he was soldering new pipes, I just wasn't expecting it that's all. No problem, just thought it weird, considering you know...all that gas engineer knowledge & experience I ...don't....have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back