Gas meter relocation

8 Jun 2011
Reaction score
United Kingdom
New boiler and high pressure cylinder installed a couple of years back. Both are installed on the gable end vertically in line with the meter housed under the stairs on the ground floor - so pretty much centre of the gable end. The gas pipe between the meter and boiler was routed on the outside wall - not a pretty sight! We are now building a single storey side extension meaning the gas pipe is slap bang in the way.

There seems to be two solutions:
1. NationalGrid connect a new section of pipe to the current outside wall, so it sits inside the new garage section of the extension and within 2m of the front wall (per the guidance), One postcode digit means that rather than a £500 quote for NationalGrid (used to be Transco) to connect under 2m of new pipe (that's without the separate cost of Corgi chap to move and connect meter + run new pipe to boiler), my apparent 'London' area increases the quote to £1500. If I lived 5 miles in the other direction I would 'save' £1k. NationalGrid no longer offer any discount for those self-excavating to make the job easier/quicker/cheaper, despite we have already exposed the pipe and excavated the mere 500mm to the wall where the meter could be placed.

2. duct/box in the gas pipe in it's current location and up/out of what will be the new tiled roof.

So my question is whether it's really viable to run a gas pipe out through the roof of our single storey extension where it will continue up alongside the outside wall to the loft. This option would certainly involve less bends in the pipe, whereas option 1 would probably mean upsizing because of the number of detours to get to the loft. Does a 'flashing' product exist that would enable us to run such a small diameter pipe through a rooftile and not breach the water tightness of the property? Not an ideal solution, but heck £1500 for 2 metres of pipe and an elbow bend! :eek:

As an aside the small section of existing pipe in the ground that we have uncovered looks as rotten as a pear. I imagine it's steel (property was built in 1965)? Would NG have a responsibility to change the pipe anyway if it is indeed 'unsafe'? Given the new extension will be sitting over the top of this supply pipe doesn't fill me with much confidence. Is it usual practice to replace pipe in the ground if it's going to be under a new extension?

Any suggestions most welcome. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
New extension getting built over a service then its down to you to pay to move it after all its you who is altering stuff.
A service can no longer run under foundation of a building
you may be keeping costs down as you're getting an extension.

But you are going to have to pay, otherwise it becomes 'illegal'.

Bite the bullet and pay the 1500 quid. As Gas112 says, you're the one doing the modifying, so you should pay to have it moved.
We keep being told that any accredited gas service contractor can move meters.

But I don't know the details as those who point this out don't give them!

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. I am not contesting that I have to pay, nor have I suggested I do anything outside of Building Regs.
Agile - NG eventually directed me to their accredited companies who can understand work on their behalf. and The former looks unlikely to manage minor jobs such as mine. I've yet to hear back from eua.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local