gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone can help. We have had a letter saying that we need a new gas meter, however, they have now told us that as it is in the porch it must be moved outside at a cost to us of £700!!!

Can we refuse to have this meter moved, is there a meter that is ok to have in the house, a friend thinks that they only have to be outside on new builds and as ours is an old house it is ok to be in the porch??

We obviously don't want to have to pay and as we haven't asked for it to be changed cant see why we should. :(

Can anyone help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The gas meter belongs to National Grid; they have a right to change it when it's coming to the end of its certification period. They also have a right to gain access to read it, at reasonable times.

I suppose they must also have a right, within reason, to move it (as it belongs to them). However, I cannot see any way in which they can demand that you pay for the work.

As this is not a DIY question, can I suggest you try asking Energy Watch (click here).

I couldn't find anything on the site dealing with your query, but you can put your own questions and, presumably, they respond.

If you're paying your bills and allowing them access to read the meter, I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

Thanks for your help, I will try energywatch. :D

This is quite a strange request by NG as I have seen their application forms and there is quite clearly an option to have an 'internal meter' fitted inside the property. I do know it is easier for them to install outside so they tend to push this option onto you. Also it is easier for them to read the meter if you are not in the property.

Please see http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/domestic/NW/connections.htm and click on application form. There is clearly an 'above ground entry' option which means internally positioned.

Let me know how you get on.

Sponsored Links
There are millions af gas meters inside houses including porches.
I have never heard of this request/demand from NG & I work for 'em.
I would ask them WHY? When & if you get a reply, please post back 'cos I'm well intrigued! :eek:

Your Not Allowed To Have Gas Meter In The Porch As The Meter Service Is Usually Plastic. You Are Not Allowed Plastic Gas Pipe In A Building

Gazfen,
I beg to differ, gas meters ARE in porches & prolly always will be if necessary.The service may well be in MDPE but is terminated in metal up to ECV.

So there :mad:

Having worked for the company and still meet up with NG guys every day i have never heard of them sending a letter for a meter exchange and saying it would be moved outside and you would be charged.
Even when an extension or porch etc has been built around an existing box that may have a plastic supply this is usually just classed as not to current standard and i have never heard of anyone being forced to move it.

I Also Work For National Grid We Are Told To A.R Any Meter In A box With A Conservatory Garage etc Placed Over It So There Right Back At You 2 :evil:

It's a PORCH not a conservatory etc.
Are you telling us that, working for NG,you haven't seen a meter in a porch? Or do you AR every meter inside a property?

P.S I bet it's not in a meter box either

************ AND IT WILL BE IN A METER BOX

edited by moderator. See below.

Hi, thanks for your assistance, the meter was origianlly in the house I believe, however, the previous owner had the hall wall knocked down to make the lounge completly through so they had the meter moved into the porch, it is in a meter box and NG have said because of a shelf in the porch (easily removed) they cannot remove the meter box and therefore the whole lot has got to be moved outside. Can you tell me what AR means as they haven't really explained why we need a new one. They just sent a letter saying its old and needs replacing then they turned up yesterday morning and said they cant get the box off and 'cause its in the porch it must be moved outside and we are liable for the cost. We didn't move it into the porch or have the porch built it was all done when we moved in, thats nearly 10 years ago. I would appreciate any other advice you can give. Thanks again :D

There are millions af gas meters inside houses including porches.
I have never heard of this request/demand from NG & I work for 'em.
I would ask them WHY? When & if you get a reply, please post back 'cos I'm well intrigued! :eek:

Steve69the69Gas - Thanks for your reply, I am intrigued to as to why they are asking this, I have looked on their site and it simply says that the energy supplier tells NG when a box is old, how do they know this? All my neighbours gas meters are in the house and no one else is being made ot move/replace them. My mother in laws is over 30 years old and in the house and she's never had a letter. Can I refuse to have it moved or is it a legl requirment. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back