gas meter

What material is the service pipe, plastic or steel.

Why don't you loose the shelf for the time being.

Why do they want to remove the box to change the meter, it's only two nuts and they can do that through the door.

Sponsored Links
AR means at risk to an RGI (Reg. Gas Installer)
Could you give me alittle more info? Is the co. attempting to change it NG or a subby? If so a name, I have an idea :idea: Also who is your gas supplier?
Regards

P.s, Do I wanna keep betting :eek: Check your mothers meter it will have adate on it.Most likely not 30 yrs old, but its not impossilble

Hi Steve, not sure if its the co or NG, the letter was from NG and said we were part of the gas meter exchange programme. The following I have taken directly from the letter 'the gas meter in your property has been identified as being of an age that is coming to the end of its useful life, it is essential that it is exchanged, this will not effect your gas supply or supplier. There is no charge for this work which take approx 30 mins. You must be in for this to take place, even if the meter is outside'.

And then a load of blurb about the engineer etc. We are currently with EDF. The pipe at the bottom of the meter appears to be green plastic, and there is a date of 1990 on the meter. Hope this helps

Hi, I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone can help. We have had a letter saying that we need a new gas meter, however, they have now told us that as it is in the porch it must be moved outside at a cost to us of £700!!!
National Grid have a FAQ on meter replacement.

According to this:

10. Will it cost me anything when you replace my meter?

No. Neither National Grid nor your gas supplier will charge you for replacing your meter.

However they also say:

6. Can my meter be moved at the same time? (Can I have the meter moved?)

For this type of request, you would need to contact your gas supplier, who should be able to arrange a different type of job for this (if you wish to move your meter up to 1.5m). However if, for example, you wished for your gas meter to be moved from inside your property to the outside you would need to contact the National Grid Enquiry Line on 0845 6056677 and they can arrange for a move meter pack to be sent to you

and

15. Can you replace my broken meter box?

You need to contact your electricity or gas supplier who will arrange for the repair to be made.

This would suggest that it is not National Grid who want to charge you £700 but your supplier (the person you pay for the gas).

Threaten to change your gas supplier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks steve, I will contact NG and see if they can tell me if it was EDF who asked for it to be changed, if they cant tell me I will contact EDF, I am in the process now of moving back to British Gas anyway, so don't know if they will care really what I say, but still can I refuse to have this work carried out or can NGstill insist the meter is moved.

Hi Hez, or morning,
Your letter only states that the meter is ready for a renewal. So they only want to change it for a new one. The letter says it will only take 30mins, so it wont be repositioned at all. They will have done the job in less than 20mins.
Unless you can quote the letter where it says anything about moving it,
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Regards

It Was In A Meter Box Was It So Nah Nah Nah to You Steve69the69Gas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back