Gas or electric water heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old gas boiler is coming to the end of its life so will need replacing
soon with a whizzy super-efficient new one.

Currently, the boiler just does the heating and the water is on off-peak
electricity. The question is, do we convert the water over to gas heating
when we change the boiler (as it's the easiest time to do all the
plumbing)?

By my reckoning, we spend about £140 pa on electricity for hot water. I
know it's very hard to quantify, but do you think it would be cheaper with
gas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will definately be cheaper if you get rid of the hot tank and get a decent condensing combination boiler installed. Vaillant do a very good product, it's more expensive than a lot of others but its well made and shouldn't give many (if any at all) problems

Plumber says we can't use a combi boiler, but is recommending a Vaillant ecomax condensing system boiler.

we spend about £140 pa on electricity for hot water. I
know it's very hard to quantify
Not really - check your bills for the prices of the energy, in kWhrs. The prices should be on the web sites. Last time I looked it was about 2.3 times the price for off-peak electricity so you'd save about £80 pa.

The cost of the changeover would depend whether you went for a combi or HW storage again. If you put a combi in the kitchen it wouldn't cost a lot to connect it to your taps.

-----------------------------------
Plumber says we can't use a combi boiler, but is recommending a Vaillant ecomax condensing system boiler.
I wonder why not, but whatever, he should be goving you quotes!

Sponsored Links
I wonder why not, but whatever, he should be goving you quotes!

We are getting quotes!
Will ask why not combi, but suspect it's to do with it being a large, old house with very long pipe runs, 2 power showers, etc.

It's the showers.

If you don't mind or like my wife even see airing cupboards as a benefit, go with your plumber's suggestion. That's what I'd do at home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back