Gas or water pipe!!

Sponsored Links
Ok it’s under a concrete floor so not easy, it has the letter C stamped on the elbow. I’ve tried running the cold tap, it’s silent.

Have you cleaned it ? By the way the pipe is crooked in the fitting it's gas - classic work from 50's gas board:mrgreen: Nothing like the Gas Safe tech. guys today;)

Sponsored Links
Is it possible its an over spec electrical conduit pipe, my Daughter had a property with steel pipe carrying cables but they weren't galvo

Have you cleaned it ? By the way the pipe is crooked in the fitting it's gas - classic work from 50's gas board:mrgreen: Nothing like the Gas Safe tech. guys today;)

Yes I cleaned it, as was going to self level/prime. So this is defiantly not water? I don’t need it as there is 22mm running direct to the boiler.

Ok it’s under a concrete floor so not easy, it has the letter C stamped on the elbow. I’ve tried running the cold tap, it’s silent.

It's more likely to be an old gas pipe and as Nige mentioned the pipe is cross threaded and looking at the amount of threads in the elbow it would be pi$$ing water but hold gas.

You could try this, warm it up with a gas torch then get someone to open up all the cold taps, the temperature will drop quickly if it's the cold water pipe,
then do the same with the hot taps the temperature will rise.

It's more likely to be an old gas pipe and as Nige mentioned the pipe is cross threaded and looking at the amount of threads in the elbow it would be pi$$ing water but hold gas.

You could try this, warm it up with a gas torch then get someone to open up all the cold taps, the temperature will drop quickly if it's the cold water pipe,
then do the same with the hot taps the temperature will rise.

This would be the feed in from the street (water) so why would it rise. Yes cross threaded!!! Why would it leak water not gas?

Thank you..

This would be the feed in from the street (water) so why would it rise. Yes cross threaded!!! Why would it leak water not gas?

Thank you..
You never mentioned it was coming from the street in your earlier post, just warm the pipe up and it will cool down quick with cold water running through it if it's a water pipe,
Far greater pressure in your incoming cold main.

Thanks, yes it was old gas to a back boiler...I cut it out. Thank you all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back