gas pipe distance from flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello new member

my sons just moved into his first place ground floor flat, in order to help him and cut cost i have purchased all stuff needed to fit central heating for him, i intend to fit it all myself then get a gas safe engineer in to check it over and commission the boiler .

issue i'm having is the flat above made no consideration when having there heating fitted that the gas pipe is running up the outside wall where my boiler flue will exit the property, all these flats are the same layout and only really one place to fit the boilers.

i have hung the boiler drilled flue hole in wall and its approx 50mm from the gas pipe for the flat above my question is... is it far enough away??? as i'm concerned about the heat of the flue near the gas pipe.

thanks in advance for any replies

Sponsored Links
Have you actually found yourself a GSR Engineer who's prepared to come in and commission your work for you? Most guys wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, and those who would would want to at least hang the boiler on the wall themselves and install the flue themselves (as well as doing the gas, of course).

The flue won't get hot - about 60°C - but the flue gases coming out will be corrosive and this should be taken into account. As the gas pipe was there before your boiler, the gas pipe has priority

Have you actually found yourself a GSR Engineer who's prepared to come in and commission your work for you? Most guys wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, and those who would would want to at least hang the boiler on the wall themselves and install the flue themselves (as well as doing the gas, of course).

The flue won't get hot - about 60°C - but the flue gases coming out will be corrosive and this should be taken into account. As the gas pipe was there before your boiler, the gas pipe has priority

thanks for reply
yes i have someone who is willing to check it over, i have done work before and he has double checked it so he knows me. is there any regs on how far needs to be?? i can't speak to the engineer as hes away for a month.
i can get the pipe moved if needed but obviously this is a cost incurred if not needed.

Sponsored Links
If you were competent to do this you wouldn’t need to ask.

Call someone in now before you screw something up.

i am competent to do it as i have done base work its the regs i'm asking about before any issues arise, if i waited for a month my chap would tell me but he is away at present.

i had it in mind i would have to get the gas pipe moved anyway but as its further away from flue then i thought it would be i thought i will ask the question

sorry just to clarify my engineer will be running gas line to boiler not me, i have done all the rads pipe and boiler hanging

no not really as said i'm doing ground work for engineer to complete professional work, he already looked at job before went away and we thought pipe needed moving as would be right in middle of flue pipe but as it goes was to the side so i thought i would ask a question that someone on here might be able to answer now instead of me waiting 4 weeks, its not a major deal as if needs moving he'll move it but was just trying to find an answer sooner

Well I disagree with your interpretation of competency. Many of the professionals on here will not give info, so as not to encourage DIY gas work. Getting your work signed off is frowned on. I know you claim to be only doing the basic work, but this is a public forum and anything you read can be read by all. There are many instances of diyers doing gas work when claiming not to. No offence to you intended.

He's hardly asking how to commission the new boiler fellas :rolleyes:

With a fan flued boiler I wouldn't be too concerned as the plume goes away from the building and I've seen dozens like it with no ill effects. If your bothered get you're installer to fit an elbow internally to move the flue over 5" or so.

Or tee into his gas and run it to your boiler :whistle:

Well I disagree with your interpretation of competency. Many of the professionals on here will not give info, so as not to encourage DIY gas work. Getting your work signed off is frowned on. I know you claim to be only doing the basic work, but this is a public forum and anything you read can be read by all. There are many instances of diyers doing gas work when claiming not to. No offence to you intended.

ok no problem i can understand that some may do gas work and didnt think of that when asked the question it was just case of flue needs to be where it is so gas pipe was just a question that was bugging me, in a months time the engineer will come and tell me anyway but i couldn't wait. if i came on here and said i have a gas pipe 50mm away from flue in property just moved into then i would probably gotten a reply.

i know i'm not a professional in gas work that's why i will get one in to do important work but being called incompetent to hang a boiler on a bracket and drill a 4" hole in a wall but not sure if knowing if heat off flue will effect it does not make me incompetent

thanks anyway

He's hardly asking how to commission the new boiler fellas :rolleyes:

With a fan flued boiler I wouldn't be too concerned as the plume goes away from the building and I've seen dozens like it with no ill effects. If your bothered get you're installer to fit an elbow internally to move the flue over 5" or so.

Or tee into his gas and run it to your boiler :whistle:

cheers for that Razor (y)

hole in wall done now as it was going to be done if needed moving or not i already asked the flat upstairs and they was fine with having it moved but when i marked it out noticed was to the side so thought great might not need moving, if i left flue bit longer past pipe then heat from sides wouldn't effect and gases would be further away.

i just like neat i don't really want pipes snaking up the walls if i can help it, our gas pipe will be inside property to avoid it

cheers again

He's away for a month? So you can't ask him.... you have to pose the question on a forum instead.

In this era of mobiles etc my radar is twitching.

He's away for a month? So you can't ask him.... you have to pose the question on a forum instead.

In this era of mobiles etc my radar is twitching.
he's gone back to his own country for a funeral so i think would be a bit inconsiderate to make a call or txt regarding this when all it is is a question i wanted to know the answer to

i know i'm not a professional in gas work that's why i will get one in to do important work but being called incompetent to hang a boiler on a bracket and drill a 4" hole in a wall but not sure if knowing if heat off flue will effect it does not make me incompetent

thanks anyway

You obviously don't realise which parts of a boiler installation are required to be done by a Gas Safe engineer.

These include:-

Fitting boiler support bracket to the wall.

Assembling and fitting flue to the boiler.

Installing and connecting gas supply to boiler.

Commissioning the boiler.

Notifying Building Control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back