Gas Pipe + Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am creating a small store room within my garage using plaster board that I intend to dryline to create the wall and partial division within the garage. The gas pipe is already attached to the wall.

My question

Is it okay to cover the gas pipe with drying lining ? I was planning to place steel top hat cable capping so that it can be picked up with a detector.

Looking directly at the wall there is currently

"Electric Socket" "Stud" "Reinforced Brick" "Stud" "Electric Socket" "Gas"

All help welcome

Sponsored Links
I think this is the most appropriate of the approved methods in your case:
10379127.jpg

A cap isn't really necessary though it wouldn't do any harm, as long as you don't have steel touching copper.
Any respectable stud-finder will find copper pipe.

Yes. Two purposes:
1) protect the pipe
2) not allow a large void which could fill with gas if there were a leak.

Sponsored Links
Looks tricky on the horizontals. This is another ok method:
61020768.jpg

To put Chris' correct answer in layman's terms: a gas pipe may never be in an enclosed space without ventilation. No compression joint may EVER be enclosed.

And your electric cables are not allowed within an inch of the gaspipe at any point.

Chris

Thanks very much for the diagrams.

I have a question, you mentioned that the steel cap should not touch the copper pipe - Is there a reason for this.

We have tested with a detector and the copper pipe on it own cannot be detected, therefore we are going to glue the steel cap to the plastic clips that hold the pipe in place. With this in place the detector picks it up.
This should be okay ??

Cheers

Chris

That looks ok. Make sure there is airflow possible, and you should be fine.
Steel shielding of the gas pipe (without making contact) would not go amiss to prevent future mishaps with nails and screws.

Bengasman

Could I ask if the steel shielding does touch is this a problem.

We are using silicone sealant to glue the steel shielding to the gas plastic clips that hold the pipe in place.

Cheers

Chris

you can place this steel on top if you think that copper cant be detected...it normally is

the steel does not want to be touching the copper cos it can lead to the copper corroding... (although i thought they needed water in the pipes for the corrosion to occur ?..maybe someone can clarify)

just cover the pipe in duct tape

you can place this steel on top if you think that copper cant be detected...it normally is

the steel does not want to be touching the copper cos it can lead to the copper corroding... (although i thought they needed water in the pipes for the corrosion to occur ?..maybe someone can clarify)

just cover the pipe in duct tape

yes I thought that too (an electrolytic medium) though I suppose any moisture (condensation perhaps? ) between the two dissimilar metals can have an effect and even though copper is the most robust of the two I suppose its better to be safe than sorry

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back