Gas pipe in chimney stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of replacing an old gas fire and surround (already disconnected and gone) and after pulling the plaster off the chimney stack this is what we uncovered.

Plasterers due in next week and this is surely going to get in the way.

House is an 1800’s terrace, was this common practice and is it likely to be ‘live’ or can it be removed?

Thanks for any thoughts ...

Sponsored Links
Could be the old gas lighting distribution pipe, I would think they would be long gone off the main by now but to avoid any issue then get a Gas Safe chap in.

Ah yes, I’d imagine that’s exactly what it is!

Oddly we had one in the bedroom also (on an exterior wall). Plasterer assumed that was a water pipe and plastered it right back into the wall!

Think they’ll struggle with this one though so need to find a gas man, sharpish!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
We are in the process of replacing an old gas fire and surround (already disconnected and gone) and after pulling the plaster off the chimney stack this is what we uncovered.

If you can trace your gas pipes along there entire length from the meter, plus the entire length of any branches, with absolutely no signs of any old lead pipes being attached, you will be safe to take those old lead ones out.

Another way to trace them would be with a cheap cable and pipe tracer, to see where the old pipes go.

If you cannot do that - get someone gas qualified in.

It was common to just fold lead pipes over back in the day, to seal them - as seems to have happened then.

Agree that it is probably an old gas light pipe, probably disconnected but I wouldnt take that for granted

you can trace your gas pipes along there entire length from the meter, plus the entire length of any branches, with absolutely no signs of any old lead pipes being attached, you will be safe to take those old lead ones out.
Poor advice.Have gas man check it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back