gas pipe issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external gas meter fitted but the gas pipe through the wall was not sleaved.

I have since had a new boiler fitted the other side of the wall in my kitchen be the fitter did not sleave this same gas pipe, he simply connected to the pipe inside the property which is approx 1 meter away from the meter.

I have been told he should have sleaved the gas pipe as he cannot creat a not to current standard.

confused?

What should be required when fitting new gas pipes onto old if they are not sleaved?

Sponsored Links
It was already a NCS (not to current standards) installation. If he cut into the gas line he should have ideally slieved the pipe and refitted this bit. Was it in the original quote? Was he aware before he started work? If not i wouldn't expect him to do the work for nothing. Ask him back and ask him for a quote to amend the pipework.

Whilst he should have done this if it wasn't known about prior to work commencing it's unfair of you to expect him to do it for nothing.....that said he should have pointed it out and come to an arrangement with you on sorting it out...

If you wanted the gas pipe sleeved this would be extra work. Why was'nt it sleeved in the first place ?

Well my boiler was very old and needed replacing and the gas pipe was never sleaved through the wall, but I assumed he would have brought the new fit up to current regulations and should have sleaved the pipe as per CORGI regs?

He carried out a survey before fitting and never mentioned the gas pipe not sleaved, but i assumed being a competent gas fitter he should have included that in the price.
If he had mentioned it and said it would have costed more i would have not objected.

Qouting CORGI regs, has be broke any regulations by tapping into the old gas pipe in effect creating a not to current standard by not sleaving the gas pipe now he has connected onto it after fitting a new heating boiler just 1 meter away from the gas meter?

Sponsored Links
The pipe requires sleeving. Just call and ask him to rework it. If there are i am sure many installations out there with similar issues.....but yes it should be done......but unless your liable to susidence i think you can sleep in peace until it's finished

God you certainly want your cake . He has not broke any reg and done nothing wrong ,
He didn`t create the NCS it was already there. OK it was close to where he was working but that means nothing

God you certainly want your cake . He has not broke any reg and done nothing wrong ,
He didn`t create the NCS it was already there. OK it was close to where he was working but that means nothing

just shows we also have cowboys on here lol

Qouting CORGI regs, has be broke any regulations by tapping into the old gas pipe in effect creating a not to current standard by not sleaving the gas pipe now he has connected onto it after fitting a new heating boiler just 1 meter away from the gas meter?
No.

You're assuming he should have put right any and all minor imperfections in your existing system without putting them on a quote? Ridiculous.

If the pipe is out of the back of the meter box, and it goes through the wall without being sleeved or sealed, it's At Risk and you should turn off at the meter and therefore not use any gas in the house. But you still aren't entitled to having it put right free of charge.

just shows we also have cowboys on here lol

Funny i was thinking about cowboy customers, if you knew it was wrong you should have it said you wanted a quote, if its not WRITTEN in the quote its chargable, its an exsisting fault, but hey, maybe we should all start adding 5k extra to our quote to cover repiping the whole gas supply to a house and i suppose your missing a pipe clip to?

You cant expect him to spot everything first time.
Once its brought to his attention you should ,if a reasonable character offer to pay more for the extra work involved.

A lady who had paid £3300 for a Worcester Junior to be fitted by BG called me to repair the boiler about 10 months later as her tenants had been without heating/water for several days.

The gas for the boiler had been taken out and back in and not sleeved by the installer.

I suggested to her that it was rather careless work but not that important however as she had paid top wack for BG to do the job she should expect it to have been done properly according to the regulations.

She called BG and for some reason she gave my number to them! A very rude BG engineer, who refused to give his name, called me and tried to tell me that it was not important. As he was so rude, I just told him that was fine but I would be advising the owner to complain about it to CORGI. Funny, they came the following day and corrected it!

Tony

dont be so silly, hews become the " responsible person " of course hes broken the regs.

So tell me mrrivaz what reg has the guy broke.
We are not there to correct existing NCS .
Do you take a balanced flue boiler boiler off the wall and reposition it if it doesn`t meet current regs.
Do you renew a open flue if it has a bend within 600mm NO because there is no reg telling you too.

dont be so silly, hews become the " responsible person " of course hes broken the regs.

utter nonsense. he's not even required to correct an AR or ID situation for free, why should he correct an NCS?

So tell me mrrivaz what reg has the guy broke.
We are not there to correct existing NCS .
Do you take a balanced flue boiler boiler off the wall and reposition it if it doesn`t meet current regs.
Do you renew a open flue if it has a bend within 600mm NO because there is no reg telling you too.

u have at least an obligation to advise the customer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back