gas pipe route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber out to give me a quote for some work. Part of which is to run a 22mm gas pipe to the kitchen extension. He said he'd have to cut the concrete floor to lay the pipe. I'd already had another quote and the guy had said that he'd take the pipe up into then the floor above across the room and down a boxed section where a soil stack is and bring it into the kitchen.

The first guy said that you shouldn't take a gas pipe up then bring it down cos of pressure.

I've had 2 conflicting opinions. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Sponsored Links
Gas will go anywhere you want it.

What you have to consider is the one that goes up the wall through the floor and down again will possibly be longer, and have more fittings than the one in the floor in a direct line from A to B, and may therefore need to be a bigger pipe.

so the options are

Dig floor up, loads of mess, dust and noise.

Pipe through the upstairs floor and down the other side, may need a bigger pipe, and a bit of decorating

The first guy said that you shouldn't take a gas pipe up then bring it down cos of pressure.

lol-003.gif

Thought he was talking rubbish. :) I'll get the second guy to do it.

Sponsored Links
I would consider 28mm pipe to allow for future extensions to the gas system,

You can do it either way and we always look for the most direct route feasible!
And I agree with the 28mm!!

I think that the first guy had simply explained things poorly as a more complicated route could generate more pressure drop than a straighter run.

I agree entirely that it is far better to use 28mm over 22mm, especially when you take in to account the price difference.. You can never have too much gas... Unless you've just had beans for tea ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back