Gas pipe under screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I checked the faq and couldn't find the answer, and a search leads me to older responses. Would appreciate your help.

I'm having a new unvented system installed which requires the existing gaspipe being enlarged/replaced. This means digging up some screed. Once replaced, does building regs suggest the cover/screed above need to be a certain depth?

I've read for copper pipes its 25mm minimum. Is this a recommendation or a requirement per building regs.

Thanks a lot.

Dan

Sponsored Links
The gas reg installer will advise you.

Its normally recommended at least 25 mm concrete above but 50 mm is better.

Most important is that it is correctly wrapped to protect it from corrosion.

Many ways its better in a duct with removable lid.

Tony

The gas reg installer will advise you.

Its normally recommended at least 25 mm concrete above but 50 mm is better.

Most important is that it is correctly wrapped to protect it from corrosion.

Many ways its better in a duct with removable lid.

Tony

Thanks alot Tony! A section was dug out to expose the old, smaller pipe and the new, bigfer pipe put down. Problem is it is just below the surface and will be covered by 5mm screed tops. Of course it'll crack as its in the utility room across and right infront of the back door which has heavy traffic.

I insisted it be put deeper but he suggests the weight of screed wil push it in further. I'm not sure hence why I want to.understand what regs says as a requirement. Commonsense tells me 50mm as you suggest is best. He is wrapping the copper in Denzo (spelling) tape.

Thanks, Dan.

Its not going to be pushed anywhere!

The advice is a minimum of 50mm

Brit Standards recommend a minimum of 25 mm.

Outdoor paths require a minimum of 40 mm for foot traffic.

5 mm will not be in accordance with the good practice advice or with the BS and asking for trouble in my view!

Better to leave it as an open channel with a removeable cover strip!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Its not going to be pushed anywhere!

The advice is a minimum of 50mm

Brit Standards recommend a minimum of 25 mm.

Outdoor paths require a minimum of 40 mm for foot traffic.

5 mm will not be in accordance with the good practice advice or with the BS and asking for trouble in my view!

Better to leave it as an open channel with a removeable cover strip!

Tony

Thanks Tony for the confirmation. I'll definitely ask for it to be pushed deeper - and will certainly mention the numbers and recommendations here.

A cover slip is preferable but the pipe goes along one wall, then through a supporting wall and across the back entrance, so it'll look misplaced. If it was along just the one wall I would do it.

Again, thanks.

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back