Gas pipes obstructing new oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We're in the middle of refitting our kitchen, top to bottom.

We bought all the bits up front, including a double built under electric oven to repace the old gas banger.

Problem is, when we removed the old oven (should have seen this coming I know) we discovered the gas fittings behind would obstruct the new oven, as it doesn't have a recess in it like the old gas one does.

So, I figure our options are:

1. Get an enginner in to re-route the gas pipes. I imagine this will be difficult (as for some reason they're concreted into the kitchen floor) and expensive - any thoughts?

2. Hair-brained idea this, but at the back bottom edge of the new oven, there is a recess that would accomodate the gas pipes, IF we were to hack a small hole in the thin grill which covers it. I've checked it out, there's nothing inside, I imagine it's just there to ensure you give the unit some ventilation space. What do you think, should I forget it?!

3. Failing that, we'll just have to trade the double oven in for a single, unless there are any smarter ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Sponsored Links
option 1 is prob best. It need not be especially difficult, depends...

If it is a steel pipe, can you see a screwed sleeve joint or elbow? If so, the pipe above it can be unscrewed (by a corgi!) and terminated or redirected.

If it's a copper pipe, it can easily be cut and done.

You might be able to cut a deep chase in the wall and spring the pipe out of the way.

Cheapest way would be to space the cooker away from the wall by an inch or two, some have adjustable tops to allow for it. Or to put the cooker in a different place!

If it is a steel pipe with no joints, it will be relatively difficult as it would need cutting and rethreading which is not often done domestically these days.

Thanks John.

I agree, if it's doable, getting a corgi in to redirect the pipe sounds like the best option.

Please can you have a quick look at the photo below.

thumb_IMG_2141.jpg

For this to work, where the pipe comes out of the floor, I'll need it to take an immediate right angle towards the wall. The oven has a 5cm high space underneath, so providing the pipe doesn't go any higer than that before hitting the wall, it should fit.

What do you think, doable? If so, I'll get someone in. Any idea roughly how much it'll cost?

robmorgan said:
Thanks John.

I agree, if it's doable, getting a corgi in to redirect the pipe sounds like the best option.

Please can you have a quick look at the photo below.

thumb_IMG_2141.jpg

For this to work, where the pipe comes out of the floor, I'll need it to take an immediate right angle towards the wall. The oven has a 5cm high space underneath, so providing the pipe doesn't go any higer than that before hitting the wall, it should fit.

What do you think, doable? If so, I'll get someone in. Any idea roughly how much it'll cost?

Maybe worth opening a thread in the plumbing section for this? Must be some gas fitter lurking about near there :)

Sponsored Links
I'm no gasman but I wouldn't be surpised if that brass nut is screwed onto a black iron pipe, screwing on an iron elbow instead should be easy, I would have thought £5 for doing it plus the £200 call out charge :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back