Gas or Electric?!

Ok thanks for your advice...strong opinions on both sides! We have plumbed for a gas hob with a electric oven (both whirlpool units from Ikea). I don't have the rating for the electric oven but it is a single oven so will I need a separate cooker radial circuit or can it run of the existing circuit? If so what is the best way to do this?

Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Why use gas hobs when you can use induction hobs? Awesome bits of kit - responsiveness of gas, safety and cleanliness of electric, minimal stray heat too. Expensive mind.
And not much use with copper-bottomed or aluminium pans....

Sponsored Links
If it is a domestic single oven sold in the UK market it will almost invariably be about 2500W max and OK on a 13A fused plug. Some are about 3000W (3kW) and still OK on a 13A fused plug.

you may have to look at the maker's rating plate (inside the oven door, or round the back near the cable connectors) to verify. But it should be in the installation instructions supplied with the oven or obtainable from the manufacturer or retailer before purchase.

If you have got a dedicated electric cooker circuit, the advantage of connecting the cooker here is that it will reduce load on the sockets circuit. The supply to the oven should still be fused down to 13A with a plug or FCU (or a 16A MCB)

Thanks for your replies. Ikea have been unable to provide me with the power rating of the oven! They confirmed it has a 2 pin plug together with a 3 pin adapter and that is should be a 'wired in installation'. I'm confused as to why they say it has a plug if it needs to be a wired in installation??! Not much help really. I've checked on the whirlpool site but the NUTID OVN 910 S oven returned no results as I assume it is a Ikea name for one of their products? I don't want to have to wait for the oven to be delivered before being able to find out the power rating!

One thing I did notice on the whirlpool site is the single ovens listed have a total power rating of between 2300w - 2800w. Can I assume that the Ikea oven will have a power rating of 2800w max then? JohnD suggested that anything upto 3000w will be ok for a 13A fused plug. As running a new cooker circuit will be costly is the best solution (assuming the rating is 2800w or below) to wire in the oven to the socket circuit via a FCU? I'm also planning to have a gas hob with electric ignition above the oven. What is the best way to wire this in or is it supplied via a plug?

Thanks for your help on this. I should point out that I am intending to get a sparky in to do the installation but I just want to clarify in my head what is needed and the best way to wire it up.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back