Gas or Electric?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We are refitting our kitchen. At the moment we have a gas cooker with a single gas connection. We have purchased a new gas hob and am trying to decide if a gas or electric oven is the way forward. The CU has a MCB for the cooker however I've not found a output in the kitchen. I've pulled the the gas cooker out to see it there is a blank plate behind it there is not. I guess it is possible it might be behind a unit but I will not know until we demolish the old kitchen. So I'm unsure whether to go for a gas oven and get the supply split to provide supply to the separate hob and separate oven OR to go for a single electric oven that can run off the existing ring as I believe this is possible. Anyone got any views on the best choice or further information on how/what type of oven can run of the ring?

Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Electric fan oven without a doubt! Much nicer to cook with than gas. Most electric ovens only need a 13 amp supply anyway and almost always come fitted with a 13 amp plug, just plug in and switch on.

Best thing if you do find the outlet for the old cooker is to downrate the mcb to 16 or 20 amps, and use that feed (via a 20 amp dp switch above worktop) to a double unswitched socket placed behind the cooker, Use one for your oven and the other to feed the gas hob (only needs a 3 amp fuse in that plug, powering the electric spark)

Sponsored Links
2 electric elements routed around the side walls with a fan will produce a much more even temperature around the oven. Gas flames are by their nature, hot spots. Gas hobs and electric ovens are the way ahead....

Electric everything...

...provided you're not a *****. Why use gas hobs when you can use induction hobs? Awesome bits of kit - responsiveness of gas, safety and cleanliness of electric, minimal stray heat too. Expensive mind.

Gas ovens? Useless next to fan assisted electric.

Course, you'll never use any of them because the microwave comes with buttons for "bacon" and "roast chicken", built in scales, and programmes written by chefs/scientists... ;)

gas hobs are great (if you have gas in the kitchen), very fast to go on and off and can save you the trouble and expense of having a great big electrical circuit run. Gas is also a cheaper fuel than electricity and less wasteful in transmission losses.

Ive got and I use both induction and gas hobs.

Induction's faster than gas and more controllable. Fuel cost must be about the same because for same output induction can boil water twice as fast. Gas tends to leak heat around the sides of the saucepan.

Gas is better for frying, where you wnat to shake the food around the pan. Also for pancakes where you're lifting the pan off the gas frequently.

I think meat can taste better cooked in a gas oven. There's less oxygen in the oven's atmosphere.

Electric grills are useless. They're not nearly hot enough.

Hobs..... two gas rings for speed and two electric rings for simmering and slow cooking.

i wonder if that exists...
you could go on dragons den.
i would still buy a electric though. glows red and has a nice bog orange neon to tell you when its on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back