Gas Portfolio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is question for the gas engineers really but any informed input appreciated.
I was recently given the opportunity to update some minor plumbing quals that I achieved many years ago.
This has lead me to progressing on to level 3 and gas has been put in as a freebie!
I don't really get that involved in gas, but do have an interest and seeing the qualification is achievable, I would like to have a go at it.
But my downfall will not be lack of knowledge but experience and portfolio evidence. I have noticed that a number online, that there are companies offering a portfolio package.
Is it something I should consider to bring my portfolio up to what is required?
I have gone down the route of requesting experience with local engineers but this is very difficult and I do appreciate that most engineers do not want the hassle of having to babysit someone through the install, test and commissioning process.
I know offering to work for free, does not really stack up, in time lost through taking a novice through procedures required.
So was wondering about these portfolio schemes.

Sponsored Links
This'll run to a ten pager PBD,

I'd get your flak jacket if I were you :D

For what my opinion is worth, I'd do it, and get your ticket, it'll the best money you've ever spent.

I'm assuming you have an established business in a similar field.

I'm assuming you have an established business in a similar field.
I have worked multi trade for a number of years (plumbing, electrics, tiling and plastering).
I generally carry out domestic electrical work, but do also do the hot/cold water and central heating, but always had someone to do the gas. The opportunity has arisen to get the gas qual, and I would like it. It was never rally my intention when I originally enrolled on to the course but I have done quite well regarding the theory side of thin and within the workshop. I know the big bad world is very different but to me once you have achieved the knowledge the plumbing side is a lot easier than installing a bathroom suite!

Ideally I would like to have a local engineer to help me with my portfollio and offer them the money to for a complete portfolio but I don't feel comfortable with this.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that its not just getting the qualification, its also getting Gas Safe registered and all the costs and time associated with that!

I have no detailed knowledge of those firms but think they are expensive and can charge because its so difficult to get the portfolio done by those not on an apprenticeship.

Tony

Speak to Gerry at CCTS in Belfast (Tamar Road I think) he knows lots of people all over the place and the Gas Safe Inspector, can't remember his name, knows just about everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back