Gas Pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hope somebody may be able to give some advice.

I moved in to my property about 2 years ago now. I have noticed that when you turn the gas hob on for the first time (in any given day) the gas/flame pressure is initially high (seems too high to me). After lighting and burning for a couple of seconds it settles down to a more normal flame.

I have noticed this problem seems to be worse when it is a hot day, the gas pipe does run on the outside of the house. I was wondering if this is either the heat expanding the gas in the pipe, or perhaps a fault with the pressure regulator on the gas meter.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Telephone TRANSCO on 0800-111-999
and report a pressure problem, they will come and test the inlet pressure for you, sounds like the meter governor could be sticky ;)

Telephone TRANSCO on 0800-111-999
and report a pressure problem, they will come and test the inlet pressure for you, sounds like the meter governor could be sticky ;)

We have WAWU in this area.

Wales and West Utilities, same number as above.

Thanks for your responses :cool:

If I call them out, I am not sure how likely they are to experience the problem, as once you have let the initial pressure out the problem doesn't seem to occur again until the following day. If this is the case are they likely to charge me for wasting time?

Is this problem potentially harmful to my boiler or hob?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you explain whats been going on to them, they will check the inlet Govenor and should be able to see any signs of trouble on their pressure Gauge ;)

Brief explenation will suffice. When they leave, you can be pretty sure there is no problem with your gas pressure.

Cleary you do need to be DCI Taggard Dick, and what’s more your not.

I've clearly been messing around with the meter. I just cant remember which way I turned the adjusting screw on the governor!!! What was it again, increase pressure on the diaphragm to decrease pressure or errr.... is it the other way around!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How do you come to the conclusion that I am messing about, I am trying to ascertain if the fault lies with the meter or is caused by the exterior gas pipe run. What would I gain by messing with the meter!

I've clearly been messing around with the meter. I just cant remember which way I turned the adjusting screw on the governor!!! What was it again, increase pressure on the diaphragm to decrease pressure or errr.... is it the other way around!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

To increase the pressure you *******************

However, the regulator is sealed and should only be set by an engineer working for the transporter.

As a consumer all you should be doing is contacting the transporter and asking them to check the supply pressure ( dynamically ).

You seem reluctant to do that.

Tony

Yes Tony, I think you are assuming too much.

I gather the OP is concerned he may get a big bill if he calls WAWU out on a false mission.

Thanks Tony,

I am not 'reluctant' to contact my supplier. That message was meant for Dick Puller who was hijacking this post with pointless replies, all of which have all been removed by the Mod.

I cant understand why some people automatically assume I have been messing around with the gas meter, I have nothing to gain in doing that. The fault I describe is an intermittent fault, surely if I had been messing around with the governor the gas pressure would always be high/low!

Thanks

Certain makes of govenors are changed straight away as they do have a fault on them, So give them a call even if they find nothing you will not be charged , so you have nothing to lose

So when are you proposing to call the Gas Transporter then?

there wont be a charge- as long as your concearns are genuine :confused:

I have never hear of a gas transporter charging anyone for safety/malfunction visits.

The gas pressure at the meter during use is ****. When no gas is being taken this can rise, usually to about ****.

At ********the regulator is meant to lock up.

I have seen a pressure of 65 mB when no gas is being taken!

Gas in a long pipe will increase its pressure when warmed by the sun in the morning, for example.

When you turn on the gas hob you have the full standing pressure, perhaps increased by expansion and it will be a couple of seconds before this reduces.

Normally you would never notice this because a boiler would be used before you use the hob.

Replacing the regulator should solve this. In any case its not dangerous or causing any problem.

Tony

I simply pointed out 'squarepants' that you should get a Gas Safe RGI in ASAP & not tinker with the gas services yourself - as you're just a DaftyDIY'er(term of endearment).

Sometimes Telly Tony Agile gives far too much away about the dark arts, however, we forgive him, afterall, he's not been the same since he gave up his job as a make-up artist & BBC luvvie!!

I'm in France Tony & as you know, life is good!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back