(Gas Question) Boiler drain valve in stupid place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler drain valve (I mean central heating drain valve, below combi boiler) is helpfully facing the wall, there is a gas supply pipe 11cm above it. I don't know if I'm allowed to desolder and move the drain valve but I'd guess since it's not a part of the boiler yes?

The bigger question is, if I switch the gas off at the meter then run the boiler until it fails, can I be confident there is no gas left in the pipe which would explode? I'd not expect it would get too hot from the flame at that distance anyway, but I don't know about gas... so... from those that do?

Sponsored Links
Would it not be worthwhile putting a new drain valve closer to the floor anyway?

Sponsored Links
I don't have a way to get a pic onto my computer at the moment...

There are other drain valves on the floor, it's just the boiler one is conveniently close to a sink (and right at the end of the central heating "loop", the pipe comes back in from above not below). It was just about possible to jam a hose in between it and the wall anyway, just awkward, you have to exert worrying amounts of force on the pipe and it's a stupid direction to point the valve in so for the sake of 5 minutes re-soldering, would have preferred to sort it out.

Be nice to sort the valve out though if it's something I can do. Will post a pic when I have a way of doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back