Gas regulations regarding hob to kitchen wall unit spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If asked to replace kitchen wall units over a hob, I am told that you need to observe new regulations regarding gas installations.
(Does anyone know what year these came into effect?)
These seem to be that the hood should be 760mm above a gas hob and there should not be combustable materials such as wall units below this height either side of the hood unless they are 50mm off the sides of the hob.
So a 600mm hob with a 600mm hood needs a gap of 50mm between the hood and the wall units.
Presumably then you infill either side of the hood at a height of 760mm.
If correct - where can I see this information to show the client to explain the regulations?
I've looked online but not had any success.
Thanks in advance guys...

Sponsored Links
So according to this bulletin the 50mm either side of the hob does not apply to wall units above 460mm but rather it applies to cabinetry alongside the hob.
You need to have anything directly above the gas hob at least 760mm off the worktop but wall units inline with the edge of the hob but 460mm above the worktops are OK.
I have heard two people now saying that you need 50mm spacers either side of the hood but this seems to be a misunderstanding of the rules.

Just drew this up to show what seems to be perfectly OK after all.
Hob aligns with hood which is 760mm above hob.
Wall units are 460mm off the worktop but in line with the hob.
I would only need to space items 50mm sideways away from the hob if they are less than 460mm above the hob.

Sponsored Links
Next question: if the cooker hood instructions say it can be installed 650mm above a gas hob, would a gas hob installer be correct to refuse to fit the hob saying that the hood should be installed at 760mm?

I think it's the greater of the two minimums. Do they show a maximum?

Answer to the question is yes he would be correct to refuse to fit.

Consult both manuals (hob and hood) and where different distances are given from the top of the cooker/hob to the bottom of the hood, the greater of the two specified distances should be used.

Just drew this up to show what seems to be perfectly OK after all.
Hob aligns with hood which is 760mm above hob.
Wall units are 460mm off the worktop but in line with the hob.
I would only need to space items 50mm sideways away from the hob if they are less than 460mm above the hob.

Are the dimensions (460 off the worktop) from the base of the cupboard or the underside of the bottom trim?? Thanks!

I think that the OP has made the wrong interpretation and that no-one has corrected him.

The minimum height above is 760mm for the width of the hob PLUS 50 mm on each side!

Agile, apologies if I've misunderstood what you have said, but I think you are saying that the the extractor needs to be 760mm from hob PLUS it needs to have a 50mm gap either side as well?

The 50mm step back at each side is only required if the wall unit is less than 460mm from Worktop, if above 460mm then the edge of the units can be in line with edge of hob

I know this post is Abit out dated but hopefully someone can help, I'm installing a new kitchen and my cooker hood is going to be butted up to the wall units, the designer in b&q said 'as I'm not leaving a 50mm gap either side the minimum gap from the worktop to the underside of the wall cabinets should be 550mm'. 550mm seem a hell of a lot to me. Can anyway clarify this measurement, or know of any other regulations for this?

Regards

Should be 460 above as far as I'm aware, unless your hob manufacturer stipulates a different measurement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back