Gas Safe Issue??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a GlowWorm Capricorn 240/6 back boiler with a very dated fire front (see image)
I would like to paint the beige/grey metalwork and the wooden sides, but don't want to render it "unsafe" if inspected by a gas safe engineer.

Can anyone who is gas safe registered let me know if I am allowed to paint it, and if so is there any specific paint required, or will any heat resistant paint (eg radiator paint) suffice

Sponsored Links
some gas engineers may see your painting as an attempt to cover up signs of spillage

OP, call Gloworm and ask them. Personally, I would test rather than assume spillage was occurring.

I was told years ago by a Corgi Inspector that painting a casing infringes the appliance compliance in that the paint used will not have been tested for suitabillity in the particullar application i.e. - noxious fumes temperature rating etc etc I would not paint it personnally -it will look worse than it does now TBH ;)

Sponsored Links
I have had the same thing on a LL's. Unit works perfectly well but noted down on cert that it was NCS with an explanation to them why it has been flagged up. Technically it should be classed as at risk but on advisement from the dogs a few years back the decision is up to me.

I'd NCS it if it was painted. Also, you need 225mm between the bottom of the fire's burner and the carpet (if you don't have a hearth) Can't tell if you have that or not in the pic.

Andygasman2010";p="1922223 said:
I'd NCS it if it was painted.
Andygasman2010";p="1922223 said:
Yea, NCS unless showing signs of distress, then Ar or ID

Also, you need 225mm between the bottom of the fire's burner and the carpet (if you don't have a hearth).
Andy, is that specific to GW? Baxis were , IIRC 150mm

225mm accross the board i'm pretty sure. I remember getting asked that in my ACS once and got it wrong twice! He told me to go have a coffee and a think ha. Supose MIs over rule though so maybe baxi say different.

All burners should be 225mm off combustible surfaces, unless MI's over ride it.

I've never known a baxi BBU to be less than 225 without a hearth fitted :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back