Gas Safe required?

Then whoever said that is wrong......i saw the thread as well.

"“gas fittings” means gas pipework, valves (other than emergency controls), regulators and meters, and fittings, apparatus and appliances designed for use by consumers of gas for heating, lighting, cooking or other purposes for which gas can be used (other than the purpose of an industrial process carried out on industrial premises)"

If you install it with the intention or 'design' of it to be used as a gas pipe, its a gas pipe.......... I've had this from HSE, I'd also call GSR and speak to the tech lads not the cust services as well

Sponsored Links
I remember that thread and IIRC I got a minor flaming for disagreeing that a gas pipe wasn't a gas pipe until it was connected to a meter; and that if it was intended to carry gas in the future it had to be treated as such at the point of installation.

If that makes sense?

:confused:

No it doesn't!

They argument is that a pipe "only becomes a gas pipe WHEN it is connected to a gas supply".

BUT that argument, whilst technically correct as far as it goes, it then fails at the next stage!

For any pipe to be connected to a gas supply, it has to have been installed by a gas registered person and to meet the installation requirements of a gas pipe!

Tony

I had a gas safe guy quote for the work since posting, and he says it'll cost ~£500 :eek: and that we're probably best of sticking with an electric cooker.

Thanks

There must be something very odd that you are not telling us.

The most that I have ever charged for replacing all the gas pipes in a property from an outside meter to boiler and cooker has been £300 !

A typical kitchen job with up to 3m of new pipework is about £130 !

Tony

Sponsored Links
I remember that thread and IIRC I got a minor flaming for disagreeing that a gas pipe wasn't a gas pipe until it was connected to a meter; and that if it was intended to carry gas in the future it had to be treated as such at the point of installation.

If that makes sense?

:confused:

yes i remember & well deserved it was too :LOL:

but i agree with you, imo a pipe is not a gas pipe unless it is connected to the gas supply or has gas running through it, it doesn't matter what it is designed to do, it doesn't matter why it has been installed, unless it's connected to the gas pipework or meter it is just a pipe

For any pipe to be later connected to a gas supply, it has to have been installed by a gas registered person and to meet the installation requirements of a gas pipe!

Tony

But if it becomes a gas pipe by being connected it still needs to be fitted properly, support, sleeving etc.
So if you come across a pipe that's been hidden behind units how do you know it's been done right?
It could even be that the fitter didn't have a long enough piece of pipe so put a joint in, fluxed it up and forgot to solder it. It might well pass a tightness test but you'd have an unsoldered joint.
Unlikely but possible. :eek:

But if it becomes a gas pipe by being connected it still needs to be fitted properly, support, sleeving etc.
So if you come across a pipe that's been hidden behind units how do you know it's been done right?
It could even be that the fitter didn't have a long enough piece of pipe so put a joint in, fluxed it up and forgot to solder it. It might well pass a tightness test but you'd have an unsoldered joint.
Unlikely but possible. :eek:

& doesn't that happen to us every day of the week in our normal jobs, if we go to a boiler breakdown or a CP12 we don't rip up half the house to inspect the pipework

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back