One for gas-safe members

tbr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re New gas cooker installation.

I ordered and paid for a new gas cooker to be supplied, delivered and installed.

Upon delivery the suppliers fitters declined to install the cooker as the existing gas supply line was 50cm to the right of the existing cooker which was installed 14 years ago.(but easily accessible) They said that under current regs the supply line should be immediately behind the cooker on a post but they could not relocate as they were not qualified.

The old cooker was installed by a corgi registered fitter so presumably it complied with the regs existing at the time - 1998. I'm not suggesting the current regs were mis quoted but given that most new cookers are installed to replace those 10, 20 or more years old that may not comply with current regs should not the supplying company have allowed for this when quoting for installation?

It would also help to know when the reg requiring the supply line to be behind the cooker was introduced.

Thanks.

Roy

Sponsored Links
said that under current regs the supply line should be immediately behind the cooker on a post but they could not relocate as they were not qualified.

If they are not qualified how can they install and commission the cooker.

Smell rat, (illegal worker)

Deffo smell a rat!!

Phone up the mob you bought it from & ask for their 'cooker installers' Gas Safe number.
Bet ya he's no more than a van driver!!!

said that under current regs the supply line should be immediately behind the cooker on a post but they could not relocate as they were not qualified.

If they are not qualified how can they install and commission the cooker.

Smell rat, (illegal worker)
Thanks.
Playing devils advocate the supplier may well argue thier installers do not need to be gas-safe qualified because they are merely connecting a cooker to what should have been an existing supply line that complies with current regs. My supply line allegedly didn't comply hence refusal to install.

Sponsored Links
The reg doesnt actually say the pipe should be behind the cooker it says the hose should basically hang in a U shape with no stress or strain on it. And not pass through units etc
Some cookers will show an actuall area recommended to fit the bayonet behind it.

Tend to find these guys are six weekers with no real experience and don`t` carry any fittings or pipe on the lorries as all cookers are meant to be to a satisfactory point as per ther small print.
.The standard height of a cooker back plate used to be 63cm from floor level and thats a straight backplate not those water tap back plates so many use

Don't work like that tbr, the cooker has to be installed, commissioned and signed off by a RGI.

You can't just stand it in place and plug it in.

Thanks everyone.
Can we hold off for 24 hours; tomorrow I'll post again with a photo of the existing cooker installation and the location of the existing supply line.
Thanks
Roy
PS The cooker is in the garage because the fitters refused to install it.
The supplier has refunded the installation cost but that doesn't let them off the hook because it's breach of contract / part performance and it's costing me more to have a gas-safe fitter finish the job who's booked for Monday.

I used to work. For a manufacturer that did installs, And had the same, we only fitted to point and if that wasn't correct we had to walk..... Why you ask ?

Because they wouldn't pay the extra costs on insurance to allow us to carry and use a blow lamp !!!

.The standard height of a cooker back plate used to be 63cm from floor level and thats a straight backplate not those water tap back plates so many use
it's 750mm or as the regs state it .75m, 630mm was the height stated by a popular manufacturer for many years so that's no doubt where you got that from, of course all these are overruled by the MI's anyway though.

Cheers Wsts thats why i put usedto be, been a while since seen the cooker regs the 63cm was the height used as standard in Emgas region

The termination point should be permanently attached to a firmly fixed gas installation pipe and positioned
such that the flexible connector hose hangs freely downwards (see Figure 2). The termination point should
be securely fixed to the wall by means of a backplate adaptor or suitable alternative. The termination point
should be securely fixed to the wall immediately behind the appliance at a height of approximately 750 mm
from the floor, unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
The termination point should be accessible for disconnection after moving the cooking appliance.

Immediately behind, so anywhere in the space the cooker stands in

If you are going to argue about contract, does theirs state that the gas bayonet has to be correctly sited? If so, you have breached the contract.

I suggest you stop moaning and pay to have the situation corrected. Fed up with people telling me it has 'always worked before so must be alright'.

We used to send our children down the mines but some killjoys have put a stop to that. Now gas cookers have to be connected properly. What is the world coming to?

Interesting comments Simond :confused:

The Shop sold the cooker, with delivery and installation.

Now I may be getting old in the tooth but, I, would expect it to be delivered, installed, and commissioned properly, according to BS 6172-2004 or whatever it is now.

At the very least the custard should get it installed and bill the shop, personally I would tell them to collect it and refund the money.

Of course there's probably a clause in the t&c that says the gas must be within 2mm of X marks the spot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back