Gas Safety Cert help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I had a gas safety check 2 weeks ago and received a gas safety cert. But on Friday I could detect a smell gas near my boiler. I rang the gas emergency line and when they came out they confirmed the top of the boiler is leaking gas and carbon monoxide! And immediately slapped a ‘danger sticker’ on it and cut off the gas to my boiler and disconnected it.

How can this occur so quickly after the boiler being checked?

Now the company that did the gas safety check on the boiler and issued the cert are saying that it was a ‘visual inspection only’! Surely Im getting fobbed off and they are covering up for their colleague. In the ‘inspected column’ of the cert, it says ‘Yes’ in boiler section and in the cooker section it says ‘visual only’.

I have looked at the cert and it has the following readings:

ANALYSER READING RATIO: 0.0004

CO2 PERCENT: 8.8

CO PPM 43

Can anyone tell me if these limits were acceptable when the safety check was done?

I am tempted to report the company to Gas Safe.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 8FAD21B6-0DE1-4F41-A022-50A9A5E3EFAD.jpeg
    8FAD21B6-0DE1-4F41-A022-50A9A5E3EFAD.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
Don't know anything about gas to be honest but had a similar situation a few years ago in a property I was renting.
Guy came out to inspect the boiler which 'apparently' involved opening up the heat exchanger box. He gave it a good clean out and certified it as safe. Unknown to us at the time he also certified the gas fire as being safe. How he managed this when 1/ He didn't go into the lounge where the fire was. 2/ If he had he would have seen the red triangle sticker showing it was condemned and had been isolated.

Turned out he was ex military that had done a 6 week course on being discharged.
If it's your own property I would report them. If it's rented tell the landlord and refuse to have that particular company into the house.

Nelly1, good evening.

Can I suggest you ask the forum Moderators to place this post of yours into the [closed] Gas Safe section of the board?

Ken.

Sponsored Links
Can I suggest you ask the forum Moderators to place this post of yours into the [closed] Gas Safe section of the board?

If this thread is moved to a closed section then how will the OP get the answer.

It would appear that the certificate that was given to you may have errors and omissions,. I would contact the gas emergency people again and ask them to explain why one of their staff considered it necessary to dis-connect a boiler which had just been inspected and passed as safe. Give them a copy of the certificate.

There appears to be errors and omissions by the person who performed the gas safety check on your boiler.

Some would say that mistakes happen and dismiss it as human error. Mistakes in a gas safety check, ( such as forgetting to replace the cap on the flue gas sample point ) should not happen, the results can be fatal to the people in the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back