Gas Safety - no need to bother. No one cares.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just found out that there is no need to bother with any of this silly Gas Safe business...

On noticing a potentially unsafe gas installation in a neighboring property, I attempted to report it to an enforcing authority as gas explosions are potentially very deadly events which really ought not to be permitted.

The installation in question consists of a domestic propane kitchen cooker being supplied via a 15mm pipe coming through a hole in the kitchen wall. The supply is a free standing 19kg. cylinder outside the building with camping-style regulator, which is attached to the pipe by a rubber hose secured with jubilee clips. No protection from weather or vermin.

I cannot believe that this is a compliant installation.

Here is the good bit. Local Authority Building Control claim that it is nothing to do with them. They referred me to Gas Safe, who promptly declared that they could do nothing unless it was the householder of the property who submitted the complaint.

They in turn referred me to the LA Environmental Health office, who also accept no responsibility for enforcement. They in turn have suggested getting in touch with the HSE.

The local Fire Authority have stated that they have no jurisdiction in the case of domestic premises (which is correct).

So nobody is interested in getting involved. All too much bother.

Until, one suspects, it all goes bang. Then it will be all "shock horror" and "why did this happen?"

Are there any qualified gas engineers here who could proffer an opinion? Who IS the enforcing authority in matters of this nature? Or is it "turn a blind eye" - until it all goes wrong?

So in reality, it's the wild west out there. You can do what you want, because no-one will do anything about it.

Attachments

• 20240102_115743.jpg
    20240102_115743.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have just found out that there is no need to bother with any of this silly Gas Safe business...

On noticing a potentially unsafe gas installation in a neighboring property, I attempted to report it to an enforcing authority as gas explosions are potentially very deadly events which really ought not to be permitted.

The installation in question consists of a domestic propane kitchen cooker being supplied via a 15mm pipe coming through a hole in the kitchen wall. The supply is a free standing 19kg. cylinder outside the building with camping-style regulator, which is attached to the pipe by a rubber hose secured with jubilee clips. No protection from weather or vermin.

I cannot believe that this is a compliant installation.

Here is the good bit. Local Authority Building Control claim that it is nothing to do with them. They referred me to Gas Safe, who promptly declared that they could do nothing unless it was the householder of the property who submitted the complaint.

They in turn referred me to the LA Environmental Health office, who also accept no responsibility for enforcement. They in turn have suggested getting in touch with the HSE.

The local Fire Authority have stated that they have no jurisdiction in the case of domestic premises (which is correct).

So nobody is interested in getting involved. All too much bother.

Until, one suspects, it all goes bang. Then it will be all "shock horror" and "why did this happen?"

Are there any qualified gas engineers here who could proffer an opinion? Who IS the enforcing authority in matters of this nature? Or is it "turn a blind eye" - until it all goes wrong?

So in reality, it's the wild west out there. You can do what you want, because no-one will do anything about it.
As I understand it, liquified gas cylinders are not covered by Gas Safe regulations, and anyone can work on the installation.
I must admit my undersatnding is old, and maybe out-of-date.

Just checked:
If it's a fixed installation, it should be installed by a Gas Safe plumber.
So fixed 15mm copper pipe would suggest it's a fixed installation.
However if it's a 15mm flexible pipe to a free standing camping style cooker, it wouldn't be subject to Gas Safe requirements.

The correct flexible pipe doen't need any additional protection.

Last edited:
If the supply of mains gas was involved then action to investigate the situation and if necessary action would be taken to make it safe.

There are thousands of installations like that - can't see any problem with it. If it leaks, or as you say a rodent chews through the hose, the gas will just escape to the atmosphere. It won't take long to deplete the bottle and disperse. There don't seem to be any ignition sources close to it so no threat of explosion. Having an LPG bottle outside is the best place for it.

Would the op prefer his neighbour kept the bottle inside, where any leak couldn't escape? And there are potentially plenty of ignition sources indoors. If it was indoors, then the op might have cause for concern. If a householder wants to run a cooker from bottled gas (perfectly normal - and a method used all over the world where mains gas isn't available) - how does the op imagine it should be done differently?

Last edited:
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I know nothing about the regulations governing gas installations, but, I had a friend in the caravan business and I recall him telling me that jubilee clips were not to be used and that to be compliant, it had to be a double ear crimp fitting to prevent interference.

LPG is covered by gas safe, the installation might be ok although the cylinder might be considered too close to the electrical socket (25mm away). Hard to tell from the photo what type of clip has been used, but loads of Caravans are installed in a similar way. LPG is also heavier than air, so might take a while to disperse if a leak should occur

Bottle should be secured so as it is stable and cannot tip over ??

Nobody likes a grass.

would it not have been quicker to have a word with your neighbour regards your concerns

You get flexi hoses specifically made for lpg , and connections can be " worm drive clips" which look like jubilee clips but are specified for lpg. Go to any Caravan Park and see some of the standards of workmanship there. Sadly we are now living in a society where something has to go wrong before any major action is taken. But if you were to smell a potential gas leak, then it would have to be investigated by the gas supplier.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back