Gas safety record/ certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend is having a gas boiler replaced by his landlord after Christmas .

Will he have to issue a new landlords certificate ?

Sponsored Links
In theory the new boiler is installed to meet all the standards and therefore a new gas safety record is not normally required.
However, they could request a copy of the building control notice that will be issued to the landlord after the work is complete (it takes a few weeks).
This proves the installation was notified to the local authority and should meets the regs.
For the little time it takes I've always written out a new gas safety record just for re-assurance and in that way I reset the date to coincide with the new boilers annual service.

Not legally required untill a year old , but for all the time it takes to complete on it is good practice to do it

It depends on when the current certificate expires. If not for say 6 months, then no. If it’s due to expire then as gasguru has pointed out, the date can be reset.

Sponsored Links
It depends on when the current certificate expires. If not for say 6 months, then no. If it’s due to expire then as gasguru has pointed out, the date can be reset.
If say the existing cert expired in six months time, and you complete a new one on installation of the new boiler, then the landlord gets an extra six months free as the new cert must include all appliances , no need to go and back date anything

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yup, must agree, it's good practice any time gas work is performed.

It also provides a record that as part of that gas work, that the engineer has performed due diligence. It's as much a record for the engineer as it is for the customer IMO.

If say the existing cert expired in six months time, and you complete a new one on installation of the new boiler, then the landlord gets an extra six months free as the new cert must include all appliances , no need to go and back date anything

It's due for retest/ service 17 April .

If he waits for the 12 months up as it's so close to Christmas could it be done early say Nov ?

yes can be done up to 2 months early and keep the same expiry date

A new CP12 must be completed when the boiler (or any other gas appliance) is changed. Tenancy would (afaik) be unlawful without it.

I sit corrected- just checked in the 2020 regs & exactly as you said. Shame all the landlord advice pages mention valid cp12, that extra 2 months will be handy (was a nightmare pinning the previous tenants down to a date for the inspection)

I sit corrected- just checked in the 2020 regs & exactly as you said. Shame all the landlord advice pages mention valid cp12, that extra 2 months will be handy (was a nightmare pinning the previous tenants down to a date for the inspection)
yep totally correct , but if their boiler breaks down they expect you to attende yesterday, with the new regs I give the agency a date weeks in advance and tell them to mail the tenant at least 24 hours before I attand and I take keys , if they are not in I can legally let myself in , fed up running after these spoiled brats

We used to email and send an appointment card through the post...take keys and let yourself in if no answer.
Surprising how many are still in bed and ignore the doorbell :rolleyes:
And when they whinge you point out the card sitting on the doormat...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back