Gas supply pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently we have a company installing new gas supply pipes in our street. As I understand it, this involves inserting poly pipes inside the existing metallic pipes. This also includes the pipes to our homes, they are also replacing the gas on/off valve in the house.

We have had no notification or details of the actual work they are carrying out or that they needed access to our property - luckily (or not) my in-laws were taking some shopping in to our house and spoke to the 'workers'. The workers on-site seem less than professional so I have little confidence in them.

As this work involves gas and replacement of components should I expect some documentation to show that the work has been performed to a specified standard and that safety checks have been performed and passed?

This especially concerns me given recent legislation regarding work in homes having to be completed by a competent person and having the appropriate paperwork to prove this.

I have searched the Internet but can not find any answer to this, I rang the company 0830 Tuesday (4th) and am still waiting for a return call so that "a manager can explain".

I would be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this.

Sponsored Links
Rather than calling the Contractor you would be better to call the shipper who is probably National Grid.

Their number is 0800 111999

Tony

Rather than calling the Contractor you would be better to call the shipper who is probably National Grid.

Their number is 0800 111999

Tony

Thanks for the info, I will give them a try.

Sponsored Links
trust me these guys know what they are doing.

What they will do is replace all the main pipe in the street first, then come back and make all the connections to the properties.

They will cut the service to your house and thread an wire through the pipe, then using special equipment they will pull an inner tube through the old pipe, make an tapping to the new main pipe and fit a new Service valve.

it usually means you will be without gas for about 4 hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back